Search Jobs & Courses
Most Popular Posts
Distance Learning, Online Learning
Click here to Apply!
|Apply From:||30th October 2012|
|Type:||Distance Learning : Certificate or Diploma|
|Required Grades:||Refer to Summary|
|Age Requirements:||16 and Up|
The MSc Telecommunications awards include Postgraduate Certificate (Stage 1), Postgraduate Diploma (Stage 2) and full MSc Telecommunications (Stage 3).
On successful completion of all stages you will be awarded the MSc Telecommunications.
Birmingham City University
The field of telecommunications has experienced immense developments over the past years and provides an area for exciting opportunities in science and technology. This postgraduate course is geared towards the shift from traditional telecommunication and data communications systems to mobile and wireless communications and the management of network services. The course provides advanced knowledge of telecommunications technologies and issues related to communications networks.
The course focuses on telecommunications technologies and their practical applications in modern industries. Due to the fast pace of the developments in the telecommunications sector, fundamental principles are covered in alignment with state of the art technological advances in digital communications. The course is suitable for competent students from both scientific and engineering backgrounds wishing to gain a comprehensive understanding of recent techniques in the design, development, administration and management of telecommunications.
Mode: Online distance learning Course
Comprises five modules and a project / dissertation:
1. Project Management Research Methodology This module covers project planning, scheduling and monitoring tools and techniques while at the same time developing research philosophies, strategies and methods relevant to the telecommunications industry. You will develop project management and research competencies that will enable you to plan, undertake and evaluate independent research in an organisational setting.
2. Data Communications Systems This module will provide you with a detailed knowledge and understanding of the key principles of the design, development and diagnostics of data communication systems. You will develop an in-depth knowledge of the management of data communication system, compression techniques for digital voice and video transmission, and network traffic protocols
3. Telecommunication Systems This module will provide you with a detailed knowledge of the principles of telecommunications systems, while emphasising technologies that support digital communications. Emphasis is placed on the characteristics and advantages of digital signals, as well as issues relating to transmission, line coding and modulation.
4. Management of Network Services: This module will provide you with a detailed knowledge of the requirements and operation of networks and associated service management . Emphasis is placed on the realisation of Quality of Service (QoS) concepts in digital networks and mobile communications. You will develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the management of network infrastructure and services within a business environment, including the classification of equipment and services.
5. Mobile Wireless Communications: This module will provide you with an in-depth knowledge of the fundamentals of mobile and wireless communications systems emphasising the wireless environment, mobile systems, as well as network planning and mobile services. You will gain a holistic view of modern digital mobile and wireless communications systems.
Stage 3 Project / Dissertation The project will allow you to demonstrate your ability to apply skills and knowledge to the solution of a practical problem or to an investigation into a research topic appropriate to the rationale of the course.
For the modules studied you will complete a total of 5 reports, one examination and a Viva Voce (oral examination). Assessment for the Project / Dissertation comprises the following: Project Proposal Presentations and Viva Voce examination Dissertation
Duration of Programme
The Birmingham City University MSc Telecommunications is normally studied over two years, but may be extended to suit your individual needs for up to a maximum of seven years.
- First degree from an approved university equivalent to UK second class honours in a relevant subject.
- English ability equivalent to an IELTS score of 6.0, where the medium of undergraduate study was not English.
Applicants who do not hold the standard entry requirements may be considered for admission provided they can demonstrate that their qualifications and/or industrial experience are equivalent to that attained through the completion of an appropriate honours degree programme.
RDI’s Online University ilearn is used to deliver all resources for this course including:
Study materials: Access electronic copies of your learning materials and important information, such as assessment instructions, whenever and wherever you are
Tutor support: tutors use live chats and forums to stimulate discussions, request input and highlight external sources
External resources: links to external sources can include key journal articles, your university’s online library, sites of topical interest, etc
Discussion with other students & Forumsallow students to come together, share thoughts and ideas and you can initiate topics of interest
- In addition you will have access to a programme co-ordinator for administrative support who you can contact as often as you like by telephone and email
We recommend an average of 12-15 hours
For this qualification we may allow you to count credit for relevant study you have already done elsewhere. Exemptions are considered on an individual basis when you submit an application form. Please note that work experience alone cannot be considered for exemptions.
Click here to Apply!