Can you get a degree without going to university?

In short, yes! Within the blog, we will explore the different ways you can obtain a degree without going to university. 

Degree Apprenticeship

Previously, apprenticeships could only be obtained up to Level 3 (known as an advanced apprenticeship). However, in 2010, higher apprenticeships were introduced. This includes Level 4 (equivalent to a HNC), Level 5 (equivalent to a HND), Level 6 (equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree) and Level 7 (equivalent to a Master’s Degree).

They were slow to start with limited subject options. Over the years, this has increased and there are now over 230 apprenticeship frameworks. A framework is an approved programme structured that outlines what an apprentice will cover in the workplace, as theory work and how this will be assessed. 

You can now complete a Degree Apprenticeship in a range of topics including; Law, Architecture, Accounting, Business Management and many more. To get a Degree Apprenticeship, you have to apply as you would a job. This will require an interview and potentially other stages such as an online assessment. 

Once you have been offered a Degree Apprenticeship, you will work with the employer for 80% of your time and spend the other 20% of your time at university or at home completing your set university work. This equates to 4 days per week working and 1 day per week completing university study.

One of the big benefits of Degree Apprenticeships is that the employer pays for your degree and you are also earning an income. The average apprentice in the UK earns £23,000. You can check out our current Degree Apprenticeship opportunities here.

Open University Degree

Another option you may wish to consider is completing a university degree via the open university. This means you can complete it from anywhere as all your lectures are online. This often suits people who don’t want to move away from home or go to a physical place of study.

70% of open university students work full or part-time during their studies, making it a good option for those who wish to earn whilst participating in their studies. There are over 200 courses available, 120 of these are undergraduate courses. You apply directly with Open University and there are many different funding options available. You can find out more about the Open University on their website.

Degree at a local college

If you want to complete a degree but the thought of moving away is a worry for you, many further education colleges now offer higher education courses. This means you can study closer to home and in a smaller environment. If you have a part time job locally, you can continue with this. 

The courses on offer will differ from one college to another, so you will need to check with your local establishment to see what subjects you could enroll to study. You will apply directly with the college who will discuss with you what funding options are available.

You will often find that there are a higher number of mature students on these courses, meaning there is less of a “university life” feel. This can be seen as both a negative or a positive, depending on your mindset and thought process.

Latest Blogs