How do Apprenticeships work?

We’re so glad you asked! It is a common misconception that everyone leaving school these days knows about degree apprenticeship. But in reality, this depends on how much your school, college or sixth form has shared with you. Some still have a strong focus on university and therefore, not all students leave knowing the ins and outs of a degree apprenticeship. Not to worry, read on to find out more…

What are degree apprenticeships?

Degree Apprenticeships are a way for you to gain a degree level qualification, exactly the same as you would achieve at university, but with the added benefit of gaining experience of the workplace. Not only that, your employer also funds your degree! 

When you complete a degree apprenticeship, you will spend 20% of your time at university or completing your university work at home. The other 80% will be spent within the workplace. You have to be organised and be able to plan your time effectively to manage your university work alongside your work from your job.

What subjects could I do a degree apprenticeship in?

There are over 200 frameworks for degree apprenticeships. A framework is approved by the government for delivery and there are new ones being added all the time. You can search through the different frameworks here. Make sure you filter it to Level 6 (this is equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree).

Where can I find them?

Of course, you can find apprenticeships on the Not Going to Uni website. In addition to this, you can also use the company’s direct website or the government’s apprenticeship search function. Unfortunately, not all apprenticeships are advertised in one place so it does take some commitment and time to look at the different options.

On both the NGTU and government websites you can set up alerts so that new vacancies that match your criteria are emailed straight to your inbox.

What do I need to access degree apprenticeships?

Here is a simple list:

  1. Qualifications - each employer will state on their apprenticeship advertisement what qualifications they are looking for.
  2. Skills - you will be expected to have basic soft skills for the workplace, things like being able to arrive on time and communicate well. 
  3. Eligibility to work in the UK - you can apply to UK apprenticeships from overseas, but need to ensure you have the right visa/permit to work in the UK if you are not a British Citizen.

Latest Blogs