SCL’s Football Academy Study Programmes: What you can expect
Posted: 3rd of August 2017 by Emily Dujon
SCL is a leading provider of education through sport and their mission is to improve the lives of young people through sports-based learning and education.
They are dedicated to providing those with a passion for sport the opportunity to gain the experience and vocational qualifications they need to pursue a successful sporting career. One of the many ways SCL do this is through their wide range of football academy programmes.
SCL’s programmes – run in partnership with over 60 football clubs in the UK – are open (with no tuition fees) to talented footballers aged between 16 -18 years old across the country. They offer the opportunity to develop playing talent while gaining nationally-recognised qualifications – and if that’s something that interests you, keep reading to find out more about what you can expect from one!
- First thing’s first, register your interest through NGTU at https://goo.gl/BTeYXH
- SCL will get in contact with you
- You may be asked to come to a trial, and if successful, you’ll be offered an interview
- Education interviews are typically one hour long, and are your chance to ask any questions and showcase your passion for football
- The fourth step is attending a presentation where you and your parents can learn more about the programme, meet the SCL teachers and academy coaches, and understand where you can go after the programme
- If successful, you’ll be given a conditional offer and then accepted depending on your results in August at which point you will then be enrolled on the course
Developing your playing talents
The programmes are two-year, full-time courses* in which you’ll be given the opportunity to enhance and develop your technical and tactical knowledge under the guidance of highly experienced and qualified academy UEFA licensed coaches.
You’ll train up to 6 hours per week and get involved in a weekly competitive games programme. On top of this, you can also look forward to:
- An emphasis on progressing players into the reserve and first team football
- Daily training from highly qualified FA coaches
- Guidance on individual football fitness
- Nutritional advice
- Regular appraisals to monitor development both on and off the pitch
- Cheaper costs for purchasing training kits!
*Dependent on successful completion of year 1
Alongside an extensive football development programme, you will also study a variety of nationally-recognised qualifications within sport, coaching and fitness – all managed by SCL, including:
- Year 1 - BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Sport
- Year 2 - BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sport*
- Maths and English GCSE or Functional Skills (if required)
*Qualifications may vary
Here’s an example of the interesting and exciting topics you can expect to study:
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Practical Team Sports
- Fitness Training & Programming
- Sports Coaching
- Analysis of Sports Performance
- Rules, Regulations & Officiating in Sport
- The Athlete’s Lifestyle
In addition to classroom-based learning, delivered by our outstanding teachers, you will also be given access to our Digital Learning Environment. This is designed to create a first-class, tailored learning experience which will allow you:
- Access to study resources at any place and at any time
- Simple submission of assignments online
- Easy interaction with your class, teachers and coaches
- Direct access to timetables, learner plans and emails
- Immediate access to tutor support, as well as advice and guidance on career progression
We hope you found this blog a useful read – because now, we’d love to hear from you! To register your interest in our football academy study programmes and get your career off to a winning start, head over to https://goo.gl/BTeYXH
Did you find this useful? You must sign up or log in to vote.