2018 Engineering Development Programme - UK Power Networks - South East of England
- Employment & Training
- Mechanic and Automotive
- Health & Safety
- Employability Skills
- Gas, Heating & Hot Water
- Facility Services
- Electronic Engineering
- Crawley remove
2018 Engineering Development Programme- South East of England
Engineering Trainees Team Leader
Health, Safety, Sustainability & Technical Training
PMSNF Collective Agreement
Job Family Level/Grade
£28,675 per annum (or internals existing salary as per TEA agreement)
|Closing Date||Tuesday 31st July 2018|
This is an exciting opportunity to join UK Power Networks and gain the skills and experience required to become a qualified Field Engineer through a structured individual training programme.
Applications are invited for the above training opportunity. This vacancy is open to all external candidates and UK Power Networks permanent employees.
The Engineer Development Programme (EDP) 2018 is designed to provide successful candidates who are passionate to work on the Distribution Network and have a desire to become a Field Engineer (Senior Authorised Person) building on their existing HNC or equivalent qualifications.
The EDP takes two and a half years to complete, however, if you already hold a relevant technical qualification and have 5 years experience in a distribution network role the training period may vary. Trainees will be required to undertake development activities which provide the skills necessary to become a Field Engineer (SAP). The programme will include;
- Completion of competency courses required to become SAP (Overhead, Underground or Combined) at a minimum of 11kV
- Experiential learning to provide the experience required to progress to SAP
- Development of business awareness with the opportunity to gain experience in other business areas
Successful completion of the EDP will qualify trainees to pursue a Field Engineering role within the UK Power Networks Business.
- To learn and apply techniques gained from the Engineer Development Programme safely and in accordance with the Network Operations Directorate and H&S standards.
- To successfully complete the modules and required milestones within the EDP programme.
- To demonstrate positive behaviours, performance and attitudes throughout the programme as befits an aspiring professional field engineer working within UK Power Networks.
- Learn and apply knowledge gained on network engineering activities in line with the UK Power Networks policies, processes and procedures.
- Work with Operational field staff to learn the most effective technical solutions for the development of the network.
- Learn how to generate detailed management project reports when required.
- Use skills learned from their academic qualification to provide support on and generate solutions for specific projects, including attention to Construction Design Management (CDM) regulations, as required.
- Work on small projects and work packages as required to gain experience and knowledge.
- Learn and apply knowledge gained to prepare robust risk assessments for network activities as required
- Work with colleagues to learn the management referrals and follow up work from specific Business regions/areas/directorates as applicable.
- Completion of all training provided
- Sit a Technical Interview Panel (TIP) on completion of the programme
- Achieve SAP in Overhead, Underground or Combined
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrate commitment and enthusiasm to a career within electrical power engineering
- Have experience of the working environment and work discipline
- Possess an HNC in an engineering related discipline or equivalent level electrician /mechanical qualification
- Computer literate
- Possession of a full UK driving licence and knowledge of UK Power Networks geographical area
- DNO experience would be advantageous but not essential
- A commitment to Health and Safety having obtained or willing to work towards a Health & Safety qualification
- Must already be in a role which supports the development to a Field Engineer
- Aspiration to become a Field Engineer
- Self motivated and committed
- Prepared to develop learning in own time
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.Sign-up or log in to apply