At Oxford Brookes University, we pride ourselves in the great experience we offer our staff. At Brookes we share a culture guided by the key principles of generosity of spirit, confidence, connectedness and enterprising creativity.
You'll be joining a friendly, professional environment where every member of staff is recognised as important to the success of Oxford Brookes University.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to complete a Cyber Security Level 4 Apprenticeship.
Providing administrative assistance to the information security management function including support with risk management, incident response and training and awareness work, this includes:
- Taking notes during meetings and vendor presentations
- Updating ISMS documentation under clear instruction from line manager
- Scheduling meetings with asset owners
- Updating the information asset register
- Scheduling meetings and booking meeting rooms
- Performing basic research and analysis in relation to incidents3.
Supporting the security operations functions of the team, including vulnerability scanning and threat detection and analysis, this includes:
- Providing regular reports, using the template provided, to the Network and Security Manager, also other key participants on defined security and networking metrics
- Running schedules scans
- Performing basic triage and analysis of scan results
- Distributing scan results to appropriate stakeholders and coordinating remediation
Supporting the Network and Security team to manage and maintain the OBU technical risk register and assist with internal and external audits relating to information security, this includes:
- Scheduling meetings and booking meeting rooms
- Taking meeting notes
- Updating risk management spreadsheets with data provided by managers and more senior colleagues
Working with the Network and Security team to provide support and where appropriate administration or changes to OBU Network infrastructure; Firewall, Access Control, and Web Security, this includes:
- Review, maintain and update spreadsheets / documentation under direction of more senior colleagues
- Perform basic administrative tasks on Brookes’ security software7. Following the support procedures defined by the Network and Security team, including knowing when to escalate an incident to the appropriate third-line support team e.g. operations, DBA team etc.
Assisting with the creation, maintenance and delivery of cyber security awareness training for colleagues, this includes:
- Identifying potential opportunities for improving the cybersecurity posture of Brookes, including improvements to technology and business processes
- Schedule meetings and book meeting rooms for classroom training
- Carry out basic research for training content and produce some content for distribution. This content would be subject to review by more senior colleagues before publication
- Review and make basic changes to online security training (using an e-learning editing package for which in-house training will be provided)
- Keeping up to date with the latest security and technology developments
- Providing a high standard of professional customer service at all times such as taking calls from colleagues outside the IT Services Directorate, taking clear notes of any requests or information provided.
- Importantly, respect the sensitivity of much of the information the team is privy to but not provide guidance or make decisions on matters beyond their competence or authorisation.
Desired skills and qualities:
You’ll need to be:
- Creative and curious
- Willing to learn
- A real self-starter
- Someone with a passion for technology.
You’ll need to be able to:
- Work hard
- Use your own initiative
- Be driven to make the most of the opportunity
• A-Levels in ICT/Business/Computing
• Or an Apprenticeship in a similar subject (this must be at least the level below the planned programme)
• Or an International Baccalaureate at level 3 in ICT
Six reasons (of many more) why it's great to work at Oxford Brookes:
- Holidays; 38 days, including 13 Bank Holidays and Concessionary Days
- Pension: a generous Local Government scheme with a 14.4% Employer contribution rate
- Save money: Child care vouchers, Cycle to work scheme
- Facilities: NHS Dentist, Brookes Nursery, Gym and sports facilities
- Flexible working: we support work-life balance for all staff, including career breaks, job sharing, flexible hours, etc.
- Community: Oxford Brookes has equality, diversity and inclusion as core values and aims to be a genuinely inclusive organisation for staff, students and the wider community
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.