Are you and IT Whizzkid thats looking for their first byte at gaining a long term career with excellent Qualifications and long term secure career prospects?
Are you a good trouble shooter with a technical mindset? GMB is the trade union for everyone. Our family includes over 620,000 working people in all jobs and all walks of life. Due to continuous growth across the Business we are looking to support a young IT savvy individual into there first career.
We offer sustainable employment to all of our staff and have a great team in our head of IT in paisley that are keen and able to support you through your new journey. The support desk apprentice will be responsible for a wide range of first line support technical inquiries from all staff across the business and provide essential trouble shooting and resolutions to minimize any downtime for their colleagues.The first line support role is integral to the IT support needs in any business and requires someone who is keen to progress and continually develop their IT and networking skill set.Full training will be provide along with a certificated Diploma in IT and Telecommunications at SQCF level 6 along with valuable classroom training from out training partner QA.
- The postholder will primarily support the IT Support Advisor in the delivery of 1st line technical services to users.
- Tasks and issues will be logged in a helpdesk system and referred to other IT staff via established processes where required.
- The postholder will also liaise with trained super users, regional IT contacts and external suppliers/maintenance providers as required.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
- Work with the IT technician to provide a responsive and effective helpdesk service to end users.
- Ensure that end-user devices (PCs, laptops, mobile devices, etc) are configured in line with GMB’s IT standards and that they are able to connect to the GMB network.
- Take direction from the IT Technician to ensure that software, upgrades and peripherals are installed as required.
- Assist with developing checklists and guides to support staff in using GMB’s IT systems.
- Log all support calls, and ensure that a clear and accurate note of issue, the work that has been carried out to date, and any necessary further action is recorded on a helpdesk system.
- For the majority of support calls, investigate the user’s problem in sufficient detail and provide direct technical assistance to address the issue within agreed timeframes.
- Use Remote Desktop and Network Management Software to diagnose and resolve issues where possible.
- For more complex issues (e.g. related to network infrastructure, application configuration, etc), ensure that the call is either referred to the IT Technician or is routed through to the most appropriate member of staff within the IT team via an agreed procedure.
- Ensure that users are kept informed as to the status of their support requests and that a follow-up action is in place for all open issues.
- Deal courteously and efficiently with enquiries and support requests from users and third parties.
- Advise users on the use of PC-based software packages.
ADDITIONAL TASKS AND DUTIES:
- Assist with the maintenance of GMB’s hardware inventory, e.g. by liaising with Regions and National Offices.
- Attend and contribute to departmental meetings.
- General - such other tasks as may be allocated from time to time by the IT Services and Delivery Manager.
- Good all-round technical knowledge and interest in IT, covering both hardware and software.
- Ability to communicate with users without the use of technical jargon.
- Patient and supportive attitude to working with end-users.
- Ideally, experience of working on an IT helpdesk.Ability to contribute to writing guides and checklists for use by non-technical users.
- Willingness to undertake necessary training to support new developments.
- Monday - Friday
- 9am to 5pm
- GBP 20,312.16
Future Career Progression:
- Long term employment Progression would mainly be support desk based with the potential for some hand on hardware or 2nd line support
- GBP 20k plus
QA’s apprenticeship programmes may be funded in part by the European Union through the European Social Fund, which supports the development of employment opportunities and a skilled workforce.For more information about QA Apprenticeships, please visit our website.
Note: This advert may close early if a suitable candidate is found before the advertised close date is reached.