The Severn Valley Railway is a well-known attraction that has a full-size standard-gauge railway line, running regular, mainly steam-hauled, passenger trains between Kidderminster in Worcestershire and Bridgnorth in Shropshire.
A remarkable feature of the Railway is that it is very largely run by unpaid volunteers, with a paid staff of around 70 people responsible for administration and commercial activities, plus regular track and rolling stock maintenance.
Since its inception and millions of passengers later, the Severn Valley Railway continues to work hard to provide a great day out for all its passengers. Every journey ends with a memory. We are growing, and providing an excellent opportunity for the right person to be part of that experience for all of our visitors, and contribute to the work undertaken by the Visitor Services and Sales & Marketing teams.
An exciting and varied role that provides general day to day administration duties to supports the functions of Visitor Services and Sales & Marketing. The role also includes general admin support for Membership and Events. Support is given by using various I.T. systems in addition to manual processes.
- Handling telephone enquiries and liaising with customers
- Sending out customer tickets (dining, trains, footplate etc.)
- Maintaining online filing, ensuring paperless systems where possible
- Dealing with post, photocopying and scanning
- Distribution of group lists
- Traffic notices
- Purchase orders
- Attending meetings as and when required
- To be proactive; suggest new and improved ways of working and review current processes
- Have attention to detail
- Able to work well under pressure in particular during busy periods
- The ability to comply with all SVR policies to include Health & Safety policy
- Excellent verbal & written communication
- Knowledge and understanding of I.T. and systems
- Be customer focussed
- Be team spirited - a desire to be part of a team culture that has a 'can do attitude'
- Able to use initiative
- To be willing to undertake a minimum of 2 volunteer days per year, that supports the work of the Railway and volunteer staff, to enhance the customer experience
- At least 5 GSCE’s, including English and Maths at GCSE grade C or above.
- Desirable L2 Business Admin
- Previous work experience in an office/ customer service environment
The business is evolving and the support teams are growing, there will be opportunity to progress upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.