Calvert Kielder was founded more than 35 years ago on a vision of a society where disability is not a barrier to opportunity and fulfilment. For many we offer a unique opportunity to share the pleasure of a holiday in the countryside; something that able-bodied people take for granted. Our motto is: “Disability…no limits.” Calvert Kielder is a transformational organisation. We bring positive transformation to the lives of disabled people, their families and friends, instilling greater self-esteem, stronger self-confidence and a more determined sense of purpose through the provision of challenging and fun outdoor activities.
Activity Staff provide our guests with the highest quality, safe and enjoyable outdoor and indoor activities. Making use of our extensive site and the Kielder Water reservoir, our staff run daily sessions of land and water based activities for all of our visitors.
Working alongside our specialist care team our activity staff will also work with many disabled guests providing opportunities for our guests to realise their full potential.
All staff are required to undertake an Enhanced DBS Check.
The following is a guide and should not be treated as an exhaustive list.
- To lead or assist in the provision of the full range of activities provided by Calvert Kielder.
- To ensure the Health, Safety and Welfare of our guests remains paramount during activity sessions.
- To share with other staff in the provision of the Calvert Kielder’s Activity programme in a way that respects the dignity of the individual and promotes independence.
- To help in the care of the guest’s physical environment.
- To work with other staff teams in providing the full range of activities available for the guests of Calvert Kielder.
- To take part in Evening duties on a rota basis and the provision of sleepover duties where necessary.
- Activity staff are the principle providers of Calvert Kielder’s activities but the job also includes many other aspects of our life. This requires a flexible and adaptable attitude where logical and independent thinking are the key to the smooth operation of our workplace.
- Acivity staff are responsible for the care and maintenance of all of our activity equipment. 2 ActsJD2019
- Identifying and participation in training courses allowing you to continuously develop your skills.
- To welcome and familiarise guests with the layout of our facilities including procedures.
- To read and write reports, take part in staff meetings / handovers and attend training activities / courses as identified.
- To have a good knowledge of the activity procedures / policies in place at Calvert Kielder.
- To observe the Health and Safety Regulations.
- To go on escort duty, and any other reasonable duties within Calvert Kielder’s requirements.
- To fully understand the confidential nature of the work and deal with any information in a sensitive manner.
- To assist the care team where appropriate with guest needs.
- To ensure that communal areas are kept clean and tidy at all times.
- To participate in the Performance Review Process.
- Undertaking other duties not specifically stated which from time to time are necessary due to operational requirement.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to work on their own initiative.
- The ability to work with and manage remote workers.
- The ability to work as part of a team as well as be able to self-motivate when under pressure.
- Willingness to learn and develop new ideas.
- Positive and enthusiastic “can do” attitude.
- Ability to take constructive criticism, and apply it.
- Disciplined, hardworking and prepared to go the extra mile.
- A strong, supportive team player who has a healthy sense of competition.
- Mature, flexible and professional.
- Excellent personal standards, including time keeping and personal appearance.
NGB Qualifications in Rope, Canoeing or Sailing activities.
Food Hygiene Certificate.
First Aid Qualification.
Full Driving Licence.
PLACE & HOURS OF WORK
The position is based at Calvert Kielder, Kielder Water & Forest Park, Falstone, Hexham, Northumberland, NE48 1BS. Hours of work based on 2288 per annum, working within an annualised hours scheme.
Once placed you will be required to complete a DBS (we are able to assist with this).
Starting salaries and hours of work vary but the following is indicative
£14,000 - £19,500
On site accommodation available