Advanced Apprentice - Pipeline Maintenance- National Grid - Northamptonshire
- Advanced Apprenticeship
- Outdoor Pursuits
- Health & Safety
- Welding & Metalwork
- Gas, Heating & Hot Water
- Cleaning and Environmental Services
- Facility Services
- Electronic Engineering
- Northamptonshire remove
- Ref no.: 15677
You must have or be predicted to gain Five GCSE’s graded A-C / 4-9 or equivalent:
Two of which must be Maths and English Language
Along with three others from any of the following subject areas – IT, Technical Drawing, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Science or any other Engineering subject, English Literature, Geography or History
An Engineering Diploma/Qualification i.e. BTEC (grade pass) along with GCSE Maths and English graded A-C /4-9 or equivalent
* Please note - It is important that you specify whether your English GCSE is English Language. Failure to do this may result in us not being able to progress your application.
The national gas transmission system in the UK consists of 9,000km of high pressure pipelines and 25 compressor stations. These in turn are connected to eight distribution networks and then to third party independent systems who finally deliver the gas to the customer. So it’s a complicated process with multiple steps and participants and we’re constantly looking for new ways to streamline it and improve efficiencies.
Traditionally, we’ve sourced our gas from UK continental shelf fields. But with these resources fast depleting we’re looking at other supplies, including importing international gas. So it’s a fantastic opportunity to join National Grid as we take the company in a new and exciting direction.
About the role
In this three year programme, you’ll join our Pipeline Maintenance Centre (PMC) based at one of our operational sites around the country. This is the section of National Grid which provides a 24/7 emergency response service for National Grid and third party operators of the gas transmission and distribution networks. So you’ll be joining one of the fastest growing parts of our Gas Transmission operation. And you’ll become part of our team of highly trained Engineers and Technicians who ensure the safe, secure and reliable operation of our gas network. You’ll immediately take a very ‘hands on’ approach and develop a variety of specialist skills.
After the first year you will be located in one of the these National Grid locations: Hitchin, Cardiff, Birmingham, Ambergate or Knowsley.
Key tasks and areas of work
The off-job training element of our Apprentice Programme provides you with all the skills you need to obtain a Pipelines Trailblazer qualification and gives you a real insight into National Grid, Gas Transmission and PMC. You will be responsible for your own logbook of experiences as you build towards your end point assessment. You will also obtain all the necessary certifications required to go out on site and deliver the hands-on engineering works that PMC provides for its customers.
Whilst working on-the-job within the PMC Business Unit, you will develop the skills required to undertake maintenance and engineering activity on National Grid and third party Gas Network Assets using PMC equipment. You will be involved in complex engineering activities, assisting the Technicians in their role, building up your own experience and contributing to a cost-effective and customer-focussed service.
Key accountabilities include:
* Supporting and maintaining the health and safety of self and third parties and complying with PMC risk assessments and method statements
* Understanding safe setting for work and contributing to a team culture of safe working and compliance to National Grid policies and procedures
* Developing the required skills to carry out specialist PMC services, leading to an ability to act as team leader on minor projects
* Playing your part in the Team when delivering work of a more complex nature
* Developing the skills to respond to pipeline emergencies and participate in 24-hour call out rota
* Communicating effectively with colleagues, National Grid managers, public officials, site managers and the general public in order to organise and plan work, deal with complaints and ensure stakeholder satisfaction
* Using computerised systems to update and access information, planning surveys and work and collecting data
After all of this fantastic training you will want to spend the next few years putting everything into practice and continuing to build on your technical capability by acquiring further technical certificates and qualifications.
Sign-up or log in to apply
There are many opportunities to develop within PMC, with the Business Unit having all of the departments you would expect from a critical national supplier to both internal and external customers. Our people go on to become multi-skilled Technicians, operations engineers, on-site project supervisors and even into support roles in our commercial or Safety Teams. This could be the start of a very bright career within an exciting and expanding part of National Grid.