Applied Science Level 3 Apprenticeship Programme – Weapons Science
Employment Type: Full Time – Permanent
Salary: £13,000 per annum + Bonus Schemes + Benefits
Start Date: September 2020
QinetiQ is a leading science and engineering company operating primarily in the defence, security and critical infrastructure markets. We offer our customers world-class expertise through our services and innovative technology-based products. Our people proactively understand our customers’ current and future needs and create and enable solutions at greater pace to meet current, adjacent and emergent threats. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Weapons Science group is a group within the Applied Science Discipline. Within Weapons Science, our teams come from a variety of physics, chemistry, mathematics and related engineering backgrounds. They are critical to research, advice and the assessment of weapons systems from long range missiles to small arms pistols including the detailed technologies that enable their use. They help our customers ensure that these critical assets perform effectively and safely. We are looking for graduates to join the team of 100 scientists and engineers. You will develop the skills needed to contribute to the delivery of a wide range of programmes for military, government and commercial customers to support the development and assessment of weapons systems.
Duties & Responsibilities
You could be responsible for:
- Conducting breakdown analysis to determine the safety and suitability of a weapon system
- Developing techniques to machine explosive materials to provide samples for analysis
- Conducting gun assessment trials in the UK and internationally
- Contributing to some of most challenging, high profile science and technology programmes in the UK and overseas.
Joining QinetiQ you would:
- Work in multidisciplinary teams delivering projects to a wide range of military, government and commercial customers
- Determine the best way for our customers to exploit novel and emerging technologies
- Be part of an apprenticeship programme allowing you to develop your technical expertise whilst getting the opportunity to experience a wider range of experience as well
- Get access to training to develop your technical and leadership skills
- Get the opportunity to support community projects, for example acting as a STEM ambassador to local schools
- On completion of this Level 3 apprenticeship a suitable candidate will have the opportunity to continue their training and development with higher level apprenticeships, including Level 6 (Degree) apprenticeships.
To apply for the role you MUST meet the following criteria;
- Have attained, or are about to attain a minimum of a 5 GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent including a science or engineering, mathematics and English
- Be willing to learn, and have demonstrated an aptitude for learning at pace
- Have a keen interest in science and engineering
- Hold full British Citizenship
- Must be able to achieve SC level Security Clearance.
Please be aware that this role is subject to both security & export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that you must hold full British citizenship and obtain the right to stay and work within the UK. Restrictions may also mean that any dual or previous nationalities held can affect the roles in which you can perform within QinetiQ.
As well as the opportunity to work in a company at the forefront of the technology sector you will also receive:
- Flexible Employee Benefits
- Annual Salary Review
- Recognition Scheme, volunteering - helping charities & local communities
- Up to 50% discount on meals across a wide range of restaurants
- Up to 15% off high street stores and 40% off cinema tickets
- Buy annual leave, flexible working, social events, employee assistance 24/7
- Gym and sports facilities on larger sites
- 25 days standard annual leave + bank holidays
- Cycle to work scheme
- Much more!