Apprentice IT Junior Developer Based in Sheffield
Required qualifications: 5 GCSEs including Maths and English at grade A to C or equivalent
About Balfour Beatty and what we do:
Do you want to work for a worldwide, market leading Company? A company that has delivered some of the most iconic projects, globally over the last 100 years, with market leading capabilities across the construction, services and rail sectors? Then we have an amazing opportunity for you based in Sheffield but there may be requirements to visit additional Balfour Beatty office locations as part of the training programme.
Take a look at what we do at:
Balfour Beatty is the UKs largest construction and infrastructure business. Each day our projects change peoples lives and communities for the better. We built the famous London Aquatic Centre and youll find our mark in all kinds of infrastructure like schools and hospitals, major roads, rail and power networks. Each year we seek the best apprentices to come and join our ever changing business.
About the role:
Reporting in to the Lead Developer, you shall become an integral part of the team. You shall assist in the development of key projects for the business working closely with other members of the development team.
What the apprenticeship will offer:
You will follow a training programme as part of our Industry recognised Apprenticeship programme, the typical duration for this apprenticeship is 12 months.
You will also be trained on:
- The methods to fulfil the above duties and learn how business operate
- How to liaise directly with a diverse range of end users from multiple departments
- How to meet company service standards and turnaround times
- Effective communication skills (specifically over the phone and by e-mail)
- Managing varying workloads and prioritisation of tasks and work orders
What you'll be doing
Your responsibilities as an IT Apprentice:
Reporting to the Front Office Development Lead and working with the Development team your duties will include:
- Assisting the development team in developing software for key projects for the business. This could involve building web applications, mobile applications, system to system interfaces, database design etc.
- Assisting the Front Office Support team with analysing incidents related to software developed by the team.
- Engaging with the PMO to help build project plans and maintain progress on projects to ensure sure key milestones are hit.
- Engaging with key stakeholders within the business to ensure their requirements are delivered on time.
- See projects go through the full software development life cycle (SDLC) from development, to user acceptance testing (UAT) to production.
- You will be filling portfolios, modelling solutions to make sure they meet customers requirements.
- You will learn about mobile applications and make sure websites are appropriate.
- Dealing with the customers.
Who we're looking for
Who were looking for:
As well as well-developed team and People Skills (over the phone and by email), you will have the passion and enthusiasm for software development.
- Customer and team focused
- Natural problem solver
- Flexible in your approach to work
- Comfortable using a computer and different software
- You will be able to solve problems and to pick up new ways of working quickly
- Preferably some previous experience of software development.
You will need a minimum of five GCSEs (or equivalent) at grades A-C including Maths and English
An IT qualification or previous work experience is desirable.
Why work for us
Salary & benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. Your professional institution fees and training will be covered.
Closing Date applications are open until 26th June 2020, however we reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.
Applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as early as possible as CVs will be reviewed and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer, is a Disability Confident level 2 Employer and a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.