Over the last 600 years, the University of St Andrews has established a reputation as one of the world' s leading research and teaching centres. They are the winners of Microsoft' s Apprentice Employer of the Year and have award winning apprentices in house.We offer roles for those who are passionate about IT, offering a challenging, rewarding and quick route into a successful IT career. We are actively recruiting for Apprentice IT/AV Support Technicians at the University of St Andrews.
IT/AV Support Technicians play a vital role in the support of teaching in the University and a critical role in the delivery of service to on-going support of the University managed computer environment, also providing high level technical support for incidents and problems related to computers and data connections. As part of the Desktop Operations team, they are responsible for the 2nd line support of a wide range of end user technologies, audio visual equipment, software applications and corporate systems, providing assistance to deliver a responsive, customer focused IT and AV support service, as well providing technical support for internal &external events and specialist teaching facilities.
Through a period of apprenticeship and training, learn and develop the necessary skills, expertise and experience to provide assistance to the members of the IT Service Desk team and ultimately be able to fully perform the role of IT Service Desk Analyst.
Under the supervision and direction of the IT Service Desk Supervisor and other members of the IT Service Desk team, develop a full understanding and an ability to perform the key tasks and responsibilities of an IT Service Desk Analyst by:
- Working with others, develop skills to provide the customer interface to IT Services via counter services, telephone and electronic communications. Contribute to handling incidents, problem records and service requests;proactively seek resolutions for customers;deal with issues and complaints in a professional and calm manner.
- Learning how to provide first line technical support on all IT related matters aiming at resolving majority of incidents at first point of call using advanced diagnostic techniques, system administrator rights and remote control of desktops.
- Developing an understanding of how to delegate incident/service requests which cannot be resolved at first point of contact to the appropriate group, retaining ownership through to resolution.
- Communicating with users - keeping them informed of incident progress, notifying them of impending changes or agreed outages.
- Contributing to user support for core University hardware and software.
- Endeavouring to pursue continuous service improvement culture, contribute to, maintain and update procedures.
- Maintaining accurate records and reporting information on the level of faults and requests by logging all relevant incident/service request details and allocating categorization and prioritisation codes.
- Understanding how and when to escalate to the appropriate manager any incidents that require reporting for further escalation.
- Assisting others to provide staff and students with support for connecting their personal computers to the University network.
- Contributing to effective communication with all staff and students in the resolution of faults and requests.
- Assisting others to define and maintain knowledge data by amending and creating documents under the approval of the IT Service Desk Supervisor.
- Endeavouring to keep abreast of current and emerging hardware and software technologies.
- Assisting others to provide cover and technical support in other areas of IT support as required.
- Assisting in the conducting of customer/user satisfaction call-backs/surveys as part of the closure process applied to IT Service Desk calls.
- Maintaining a personal development programme as agreed with line manager.
- Good communication skills
- Understand and know how to deliver a good customer service
- An interest and enthusiasm for IT
You must have at least 5 National 5 grades, qualifications must include Maths and English.
- Full time/36.25 hours per week
- Salary review and increase after first year.
QA' s apprenticeship programmes may be funded in part by the European Union through the European Social Fund, which supports the development of employment opportunities and a skilled workforce.
For more information about QA Apprenticeships, please visit our website. Note:This advert may close early if a suitable candidate is found before the advertised close date is reached.