Wakefield Grammar School Foundation is one of the country’s leading families of independent day schools. Wakefield Girls' High School and Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Junior and Senior Schools, offer a single-sex education from 4-18 years. Mulberry House Nursery educates boys and girls from 3-4 years.
Wakefield Girls High School nurture, encourage and challenge our girls so they are prepared for the rapidly changing modern world. At WGHS we strive to deliver a world class education to all through our High-Performance Learning (HPL) programme; HPL empowers teachers to support students in developing a range of essential and desirable life skills and attributes to make them stand out from the crowd.
A great education centres on what happens in the classroom, and the teaching and learning is at the heart of what WGHS does so well. We value both tradition and innovation; our girls learn in modern and challenging ways, and all staff encourage our girls to become independent thinkers. Our girls are pushed to achieve their very best. We are also aware that an outstanding education is not purely about academic results; it must include exceptional pastoral care, the Arts, Sport and extra-curricular opportunities. These are available in abundance enabling all to flourish and excel.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a passionate IT individual to undertake a full time Technician role within a busy and dynamic IT department. The organisation are looking for a confident and professional learner who will be able to hold a conversation with people of all age ranges. If you have experience within a professional IT environment or have a demonstrable passion for IT in your personal time, then this could be the opportunity for you.
You will provide ICT Support to both Junior and senior schools.
You will have a focus on high quality support, whether in the classroom, supporting teachers with tech or within the ICT Support offices, working with the ICT Support Team on day-to-day support requests and projects.
You will support the ICT infrastructure, including audio/visual resources, mobile devices and wireless systems for all staff, pupils and visitors attending the school.
You will be exposed to a wide range of some of the latest technology and be hands-on with the support of equipment, services and applications.
You should be a team player with a get up and go attitude. You will be comfortable covering 1st and 2nd lines of support with people at all levels.
This position will be vital to the running of the schools, so applicants should be professional with a helpful attitude and have the ability to communicate clearly with colleagues and pupils.
We will inspire you and we will support you throughout your training.
- Manage support requests through the Foundation helpdesk system.
- Provide first and second line support to staff and pupils at WGHS Junior School and WGHS Senior School.
- Provide technical advice to staff, pupils and Governors.
- Maintaining an awareness of new, developing and innovative ICT technologies.
- Maintaining confidentiality of user data and personal information within current legal requirements.
- Ensure network operating systems are up to date and contribute to the maintenance of networked workstations, thin-clients, iPads and Chromebooks.
- Support all AV facilities including interactive whiteboards, Apple TVs, projection systems and Assembly presentation, Sound and Light, Music Technology and events as required.
- Maintain a large number of computers, laptops, and mobile devices that are connected to the schools network.
- Administration of the schools Windows desktop environment (Windows 10) including Bios; Command Line diagnostics; System properties; taskbar; windows properties; control panel; user access control; Administrative tools.
- Administration of Google G-Suite, Chromebooks and application (Web and App Stores) deployment.
- Administration of Apple iOS devices such as iPad. Managed within a JAMF environment.
- Assist with network administration, specifically to include User Management, Access Control and Security. Securing files or folders with permissions; setting who has the right to access files and folders; creating user groups; understand user profiles and manage pupil and staff passwords.
- Assist with the management of the Foundation SIMS database systems as required by the School.
- Assist the Head of e-Learning with the management and further development of Firefly (learning environment) by supporting staff, pupils and parents.
- Assist the Head of e-Learning with the development of Google G-Suite services, applications and Chromebook hardware.
- Assist with the management of Anti-virus and back-up systems. Assist with disaster recovery contingencies to enable an efficient return of service after any unforeseen system outages.
- Assist in the management of Internet access filtering, email filtering and related monitoring systems.
- Supporting and maintaining the schools printers and Multi-Function Devices based on Papercut. Manage print quotas, reporting, printing queues, Apple and Chromebook printing.
- Support with all school cloud based resources including – Office365, Google G Suite etc.
- Provide advice, undertake research and take part in discussions to support the future development of IT infrastructure, hardware and applications.
- Ensuring all ICT installations reflect knowledge and awareness of Health and Safety legislation.
Desired qualities, skills and knowledge:
- Good understanding and ability to use relevant technologies.
- Team skills including the ability to work closely with others, provide support, share good practice, listen and learn from colleagues and be a proactive team member.
- Ability to think and work independently as well as following technical instructions.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills including diplomacy, confidentiality, sensitivity to the needs of others and excellent customer service.
- Ability and interest to keep up to date with current technologies that may impact on a school environment.
- Reliable and trustworthy with a record of excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Keen interest in Windows 10 and or Mac Operating Systems
- Experience of using or a keen interest in Audio-visual equipment.
- Experience of 1st/2nd line IT support advantageous
- Windows server experience advantageous
- Understanding of health and safety issues and good practice.
- Commitment to equality of opportunity and the safeguarding and welfare of all students.
- Commitment to own Continuing Professional Development and willingness to undertake training.
- Full Enhanced DBS clearance.
At least 5 GSCE’s, including English and Maths at GCSE grade C (grade: 9-4) or above.
There is the potential for the right candidate to progress into a permanent position.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.