Apprentice Machinist, AH Garner - Nottingham
- Intermediate Apprenticeship
- Nottingham remove
About the employer
The history of AH Garner began in the city of Nottingham with a single engineer with a particular speciality in blacksmithery and forging. An original set of hand-forged iron gates bearing the AH Garner name still exist in Nottingham today.
Today we specialise in the supply of hydraulic cylinders to Original Equipment Manufacturers. With over 45 years’ experience in this field, we have a proven track record of quality and reliability.
Moving forwards, we recognise that the constantly increasing demands made both on and by OEMs require us to be progressive in our outlook and approach. Our programme of continuous investment and development is focused on enabling us to consistently provide the best solutions to those exacting standards.
About the role
CNC Apprentice Machinist Job Description:
- Plans machining by studying work orders, engineering plans, materials, specifications, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters; interpreting geometric dimensions and tolerances.
- Setting Machines - Grades
- Programs mills and lathes by entering instructions, including zero and reference points; setting tool registers, offsets, calculating requirements, including basic math, geometry, and trigonometry; proving part programs.
- Sets-up mills and lathes by installing and adjusting three- and four-jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, stops, and stock pushers; indicating vices;
- Verifies settings by measuring positions, first-run part, and sample workpieces; adhering to company process and systems.
- Maintains specifications by observing drilling, grooving, and cutting, including turning, facing, knurling and thread chasing operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; adjusting and reprogramming controls; sharpening and replacing worn tools; adhering to quality assurance procedures and processes.
- Maintains safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
- Maintains continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Documents actions by completing production and quality logs.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- The role will also involve inspection of parts, so you will be familiar with a range in inspection equipment.
Applicants will be required to attend an Assessment Centre with Vision Apprentices as part of the screening process.
The employer reserves the right to close this vacancy early should a suitable candidate be identified prior to the published closing date
The Person Specification -
We are inviting enthusiastic individuals who are committed to learning new skills and knowledge with the appropriate experience, qualifications and personal qualities to apply for this exciting opportunity.
The employer would like applicants to be able to demonstrate the qualifications, skills, experience and attributes listed below to be considered.
Skills & Qualities
- GCSE Grades A to C or equivalent are essential, specifically Maths and English. 2017 grading system, grade 9 – grade 5
- Time management skills
- Organisational skills
- Attention to detail
- Smart professional appearance
- Self-motivated & reliable
- Confidence with meeting/speaking to new people and conversing with ease
- Genuine interest in the sector
Employer: AH Garner Ltd
Location: Harriman’s Lane , Dunkirk, Nottingham NG7 2SD
Framework/Standard: Performing Engineering Operations Level 2
Weekly wage: £331.50
Hours per week: 39 Hours Per week
7-3pm Mon to Thurs
Pay frequency: Weekly
Assisted travel: NoSign-up or log in to apply