Apprentice Quantity Surveyor
We are no longer receiving applications for this opportunity, but there are plenty more open so please continue searching.
- Sponsored Degrees
- Level 6
What is quantity surveying?
Quantity surveying is the management of a construction project’s cost, so in many ways quantity surveyors are the accountants of the built environment. They are involved in every stage of a construction project, from working with a client or developer to estimate the cost of a proposed build, to managing the setting up of contracts and the flow of money in live construction projects.
There are two different career paths as a quantity surveyor at Mace. As an apprentice you’ll get experience of both: on site with the commercial managers, and in the office working directly with clients in our cost consultancy team.
As an apprentice quantity surveyor you’ll assist managers to ensure projects are financially viable for Mace and our key clients. Responsibilities include:
- Developing an understanding of the procurement process to realise best value
- Helping our clients to understand the potential costs of construction projects
- Assisting the team with producing cost plans
- Assisting the team with measurements and valuations
- Assisting with the management of costs through the construction phase of the project
- Agreeing changes to costs during construction
- Preparation of subcontracts and ordering materials for construction projects
You will be sponsored through a five-year part-time BSc degree in Quantity Surveying at a local University. We will provide support and mentoring to develop your experience and achieve Membership of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors within six years.
In addition to the minimum entry criteria, you must have strong numerical skills.
Quantity surveying apprenticeships are available in London, Winchester and Manchester.
You need to have the passion to help us shape cities and build sustainable communities across the world, as well as:
- The enthusiasm to pursue a long-term career in the specialism you apply for
- A minimum of grade BBB from three A Levels (or equivalent UCAS points) or a construction-related Level 3 BTEC Diploma at MMM grade or above
- Six GCSEs grade C or above including mathematics and English (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above)
- We welcome qualifications from around the world: IELTS score of 6.0 or Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Grade C