About the role
We have a new exciting opportunity to work as a Software Engineer Apprentice. This role with give you the opportunity to work for a market leading company, whilst gaining valuable skills and experience to ensure you develop to your full potential throughout the apprenticeship.
During the Advanced Apprenticeship you would complete the full framework on day or block release. Once you've completed we will support further development qualifications in Software Development or an opportunity to develop with our organisation.
As a Software Engineer Apprentice you will contribute to software projects within Balfour Beatty Rail Technologies by undertaking analysis, design, and development activities in line with the business software development process, software quality plans, and all other internal quality processes.
What you'll be doing
You will also contribute to the development of robust maintainable software for projects allocated by the business. You would work within a team of engineers on our products and solutions that make a positive difference to the operation of railway infrastructure. Our team work on a wide range of technologies including embedded software, data visualisation websites and machine learning.
Your responsibilities as a Software Engineer will include:
- Assist in the development of a product or service which meets a specification agreed with the relevant work manager
- To assist in the production of documentation to support each part of the delivery process
- To support the full project life cycle as required from requirements capture through to final testing.
- To agree any changes to plan and resources with relevant project manager
- To work alongside software developers for the purpose of analysis, design, development and testing of allocated software deliverable.
- To assist in the on-going provision of technical support for existing products or services
- To provide second line support to users as required.
Who we're looking for
- You'll have or be working towards 5 GCSEs A*-C in Maths, ICT (Information and Communication Technology ) and English or equivalent grades
- A keen interest in Technical and Engineering pursuits within the Rail Industry
- Appreciation of software development and testing practices
- To be able to work with Word, Excel and other MS applications.
- The ability to prioritise workload
- To be able to communicate with a range of different people
- Undertake personal training and development as required in order to build own skills, knowledge and competence.
- You will have a have a friendly, flexible approach to your working day and a willingness to work with and support colleagues
- To understand the importance of Health & Safety and how it fits into your role and the wider business.
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty is the UKs largest construction and infrastructure business. Each day our projects change peoples lives and communities for the better. We built the famous London Aquatic Centre and youll find our mark in all kinds of infrastructure like schools and hospitals, major roads, rail and power networks. Each year we seek the best apprentices to come and join our ever changing business
Closing Date applications are open until 26th June 2020, however we reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.
Applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as early as possible as CVs will be reviewed and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer, is a Disability Confident level 2 Employer and a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.