Apprenticeship - Junior Software Engineer - £20K per annum
Not taking applications
- Higher Apprenticeship
- Creative & Digital Media
Locations: Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
Categories: Digital Commerce Categories: Technology
Don’t just have a great idea, build it.
Our Apprenticeship Programme has been designed to nurture our next generation of technical specialists and leaders. We’ll provide you with continuous training and development, 20% in house classroom based training with 80% on the job learning. With a tailored development plan and opportunities to increase your skills throughout, you'll receive support in your placement team from your leader, buddy and mentor to aid you in securing a longer term role in one of our teams, a competitive salary along with other generous benefits.
As an Apprentice Software Engineer in our Technology organisation, you will be part of a small, co-located, Agile engineering team. You will be given the training to be able to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and implement them.
You will gain hands-on experience of coding in your team, and furthermore you’ll have the opportunity to take part in activities such as networking with external start-ups, competing in hackathons and supporting local community work.
By working with American Express employees and external training providers you will be given the training and support to be able to do the following:
- Develop Software as part of a team
- Contribute to design, development, troubleshooting, debugging, evaluating, modifying, deploying and documenting software and systems that meet the needs of customer-facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end user applications.
You’ll undertake a Level 4 Software Developer Apprenticeship as part of your role.
- Function as an active member of an agile team through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
- Debug basic software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Provide support for ongoing production application availability
- Review requirements/ user stories and corresponding designs
- Contribute to software builds from software source code management repository
- Participate in code reviews and automated build script testing
- Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Salary: £20k per annum
Contract: 22 months initially
- A Levels preferably grade B or above (or equivalent ie BTEC) in STEM related subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths)
- Some prior coding knowledge/experience in at least one programming language.
- Fluent English communication
- Strong passion for technology
- Committed to learning new techniques, skills and frameworks
- Good communication skills, pro-active, self-motivated and positive attitude
- Ability to work independently and within a team framework
- We review applications on a rolling basis, so would strongly encourage the early submission of your application.
Please be aware the assessment day will be on Monday 30th April.
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team.
Sign-up or log in to apply
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time