APPRENTICESHIP START DATE
15th March 2021
FINAL INTERVIEW DATE
14th January 2021
The C4 Apprenticeship Programme
Our Apprenticeship programme is designed to provide work experience and a related qualification to people leaving formal education and who have decided to pursue an Apprenticeship rather than attend University.
Our Apprenticeships are full-time, with four days per week spent working in a C4 department and one day per week completing the formal learning parts of the Apprenticeship. Our Apprentices have external tutors who deliver workshops and seminars to them and offer support throughout the apprenticeship. It is essential for Apprentices to be able to balance their work and learning time and commit to delivering what is required for the formal learning elements in order to successfully achieve the qualifications on completion.
The formal training provided will consist of workshops, tutorials, webinars, coaching and in some cases residential boot camps. The training is dependent on the qualification your apprenticeship offers and will be explained in detail by the training provider before you officially begin the course. Due to COVID there could be some changes in the way that training is delivered, for example it may be virtually rather than in person. You can read more about the qualification being offered for this apprenticeship below.
Am I eligible to apply?
- You must be 18 years old or over at the time the scheme starts to apply. There is no upper age limit.
- You cannot already have a similar qualification at the same or higher level than what is being offered on this apprenticeship. For example, you are not eligible to apply for this role if you have already have an Accounting qualification.
The Finance department provides Channel 4 with financial support and advice, ensuring the Corporation’s advertising revenue is working hard to deliver our public service, creative and commercial ambitions. Channel 4 Finance works with all areas of the organisation, giving financial guidance on financial reporting, investments and all general finance matters.
The Transactional Finance team manage the Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Royalty Reporting functions.
Ensure timely payment and accurate processing of transactions and queries across internal and external customers and suppliers. This role focuses on supplier management, invoice processing, payment scheduling, employee expenses and query resolution.
Ensure the prompt recovery of trade debtor balances, generation of billing and accurate cash allocation. This role focuses on credit control, cash collection, credit insurance and billing processes for all advertising, sponsorship and other revenue generating activities.
Ensure the timely and accurate generation of producer statements, coding and approving supplier invoices and tracking reported but unbilled royalties. This position focuses on the creation and payment approval of statements issued relating to content distributed or played across Channel 4 platforms.
Working collaboratively and positively with all internal departments providing excellent service and support. Building successful working relationships and providing proactive business advice on all Transactional issues.
This apprenticeship would suit someone who:
- Is looking to start a career in a Finance/Accounting department
- Loves numbers
- Has excellent attention to detail and is comfortable inputting important data
- Is willing to do sometimes repetitive but crucial tasks
- Ensure that supplier and customer incoming telephone calls and voicemail messages are answered promptly.
- Assist with new supplier set up ensuring that bank details, legal name, addresses and spend categorisation is accurately recorded and approved.
- Monitor and check supplier and customer invoice interfaces to ensure that all records have been successfully transferred between systems.
- Audit employee expenses, ensuring claims have supporting documentation, authorisation and are policy compliant.
- Identify supplier and customer billing queries and disputes and work closely with the Corporation to ensure prompt resolution.
- Assist with the preparation and processing of weekly supplier payments including BACS, CHAPS and direct debits.
- Proactively target and collect customer balances ensuring that collections are maximised. Accurately log all collection activities in Oracle.
- Apply and allocate cash receipts promptly to ensure that customer accounts are up to date.
- Monitor and minimise customer unapplied and unidentified cash receipts ensuring that open items are applied, refunded or billed.
- Assist with customer invoice creation and dispatch ensuring that revenue has been accurately posted to Oracle and balanced to Sales feeder systems.
- Request credit checks on new and existing customers, working closely with external insurance partner and internal Sales and Finance teams.
- Prepare and reconcile advertising risk exposure reports on a regular basis. Review pro-forma billing to ensure that pre-pay clients have paid prior to transmission.
- Assist with the generation of producer royalty statements ensuring that reported data is accurate and correct.
- Monitor supplier invoicing back to royalty statements to ensure that invoices have been received as expected and work closely with the Management Accounting team to ensure that accruals are accurate.
- Process and code VAT only invoices and work closely with the C4 tax department to ensure compliance and accuracy.
- Investigate and resolve producer and or internal royalty related queries analysing complex data extracted from multiple data sources.
QUALIFICATION OFFERED WITH THIS APPRENTICESHIP
Level 3 Assistant Accountant
LENGTH OF APPRENTICESHIP
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Maths and English GCSE A-C, 4-9
- Have opted to start your career in finance/accountancy
- Understands financial terminology and basic accounting principles
- Highly numerate with good data analysis ability
- Be able to demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable dealing with a variety of different stakeholders both internal C4 and external suppliers
- Excellent attention to detail
- Comfortable working on a wide variety of tasks, some of which may be administrative and repetitive
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks
- Enjoys providing excellent customer service and exceeding expectations
- Team player who can collaborate effectively and efficiently but who can also work (when required) independently
- Able to use own initiative to scout areas for improvements and suggest improvements for recurrent issues
- Enjoys learning new things and adapts quickly to ever changing deadlines
- Understanding and passion for the Channel 4 brand and remit
If you need to relocate in order to take up this opportunity, we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.
Benefits- There are a million reasons why it’s great to work at Channel 4, here are just a few of the perks for you;
• 26 days annual leave (including a day off for your birthday)
• Company funded Private Medical Insurance
• A generous Group Personal Pension
• Access to our flexible benefits scheme including dental, travel insurance, health screenings and more!
Applications Close Date- 01 Nov 2020
Application questions to complete
To complete your application please provide a response to the below application questions, you can upload your response to the application questions as an attachment when submitting your application. This can be attached to your application as a PDF or Word document.
- Please outline how you meet the ‘Essential Experience & Skills’ outlined in the Job Description (Max 500 words)
- Why have you chosen to start your career in Finance/Accountancy and what experience and skills have you developed so far in this area? (Max 300 words)
- In less than 200 words, describe the value of a finance department to a business like Channel 4?
- As the apprenticeship will involve you balancing a busy job as well as doing a qualification, can you tell us about a time when you have had to display really strong time management skills? (Max 300 words)
- Sum yourself up in a tweet (Max 280 characters)