We are looking for apprentices to join our Bridge (Structures) Engineering teams across the UK. As leaders in the sector, our Bridges teams provide wide challenging opportunities in an ever evolving industry. Our undisputable global position could give you the chance to work in the design of a major underground project between our London, Madrid and the Middle East offices; undertake the assessment and maintenance of the current UK bridge network, or propose renewal structural works for a central station.
Successful applicants will continually develop their skills in Bridge Engineering with the aim of becoming a world class engineering technician or engineer. Projects we are currently working on include:
- Thames Tideway - New Sewer under the River Thames
- Wessex Capacity Alliance - £350M rail enhancement project including Waterloo Station
- London Highways Alliance Contract for Transport for London (TfL); Bridge maintenance schemes from investigation through to detailed design
- CAFA Network Rail Structures Assessment Programme
- London Borough of Brent - Bridge Assessment and Strengthening
- Beaulieu Bridge Design, Chelmsford
- Suffolk County Council Bridge Design and Bridge Management
Responsibilities will include:
- Production of CAD (Computer Aided Design) drawings
- Undertaking graphical structural design and desk top publishing
- Supporting the administration of projects, including maintaining records
- Assisting with data review and analysis
- Contributing to providing solutions to problems
- Assisting with site visits to collect information or observe existing situations
You will combine work-based on-the-job training and learning with further studies and must be willing to progress your career. After an initial probationary period you must be willing to undertake a day release course at a Further Education College to study a level 3 Civil Engineering BTEC or a level 6 Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship, and ultimately work towards achieving Engineering Technician status and subsequently Incorporated Engineer status.
In order to be considered for this position please provide the following.
- CV including details of any work experience, and your education including dates, grades, subjects and the level of your education.
- Covering letter demonstrating your passion, why you are interested in this position, and how your skills and education/qualifications support your application
No work experience is necessary. This position is ideally suited to school leavers at GCSE or A-Level (or equivalent) who can demonstrate the following:
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grade ‘C/4’ or above, including Mathematics & English
- Three A-Levels (or equivalent) including Maths and a physical science at grade 'C' or above - essential for level 6 Degree Apprenticeship
- Show an aptitude towards software-based engineering and drawing e.g. Computer Aided Design (CAD) and other similar 3D software
- Demonstrate an interest and a desire to pursue a career in Bridge & Structures Engineering
- Commitment to continued education and improvement through on-the-job learning and training opportunities.
- Creative, practical, adaptable and enthusiastic
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organize parts of projects
- English language proficient, holding excellent communication skills to present information in speech, drawings and reports