Building Services Engineer- Degree Apprenticeship 2019
We are no longer receiving applications for this opportunity, but there are plenty more open so please continue searching.
- Degree Apprenticeships
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
We can offer you the opportunity to work on some of the world’s most exciting engineering and design projects. We invest in your learning and development and we value the ideas and innovation you could bring to our work. So, if you’re ready, we can’t wait to get you involved.
First though, we thought you’d like to know how our apprenticeship programme works. An apprenticeship enables you to earn a salary whilst you are studying for nationally recognised qualifications. You’ll get to work alongside and learn from our experts who have a wide range of knowledge, capability and experiences to share with you with a programme designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills for a successful career with us.
All in a Day’s work
There’s no such thing as a typical day at WSP. Your role will be varied and your learning will be fast paced. One day can be completely different to the next. You will have the opportunity to learn new skills using specialist software suited to the area of the business you are working in, such as AutoCAD and Revit.
You may be involved with taking concepts, ideas and designs from an architect or engineer and creating drawings using the software to match those given. If you’re pulling together packages of drawings you might need to print, trim and fold these to be sent off to site or the client.
Where practical, you’ll get the opportunity to visit site and see the projects you’ve been working on, coming to life.
What you’ll need
- You’ll be in your final year or have completed either your A Levels (or equivalent qualification type) with grades BBC and a grade C minimum in a Physical Science and Maths or Further Maths, or a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma with grades DDM or above in an engineering related subject with a further maths component.
- You’ll have five GCSEs (or equivalent qualification type) at grade C / Level 5 or above which must include English, Maths and Science with a least a grade B / Level 6 in Maths.
- You’ll be enthusiastic with the curiosity and creativity to think outside of the box
- You’ll want to stretch and inspire us, speaking up about any new ideas you have
- You’ll know it is important to keep everyone in the loop and will demonstrate this through excellent communication skills
- You’ll enjoy working in a team environment, sharing ideas and collaborating with colleagues
What you’ll get from us
We understand that all apprentices are different. Therefore, we tailor your training and development to help you to achieve your own personal goals. You’ll undertake a supervised programme of in-company training and university teaching.
You will study towards a BEng or BSc in building services at University over a five-year period on either a block or day release basis.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We are dedicated to our local communities and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. We design lasting solutions in the Property & Buildings, Transportation & Infrastructure, Environment, Water, Energy and Industry sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services.
With over 8,000 talented people in the UK and 43,000 globally, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come. We’ve been involved in many high profile UK projects including; The Shard, Crossrail, Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Manchester Metrolink, M1 Smart Motorway, the re-development of London Bridge Station, and the London Olympic & Paralympic Route Network.
Across our offices in the UK, we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture. One of the key ways that we celebrate this is through our social committees and the events they organise. Some of these events have included office Olympics; go karting outings, BBQs and opera trips.
You could also become part of our Professional Growth Network (PGN). The PGN is a networking group run by early career professionals for early career professionals. It helps to grow your network of contacts across the UK business as well as providing you with opportunities for extra experience to support you in achieving chartered status or other professional accreditations. PGN activities include lunchtime talks, site visits, inter-office quizzes and sporting events.
We also offer a comprehensive wider benefits package which includes:
- Reduced rates on gadget insurance
- Cheaper gym memberships and Tastecards
- A standard 25 day annual leave allowance plus Bank Holidays and the flexibility to buy and sell annual leave
- The Cycle to Work Scheme (which entitles you to a tax free bike)
- 2 paid days a year to be used for volunteering activities
- The option to purchase additional benefits such as dental care, personal accident cover, and holiday or life insurance at reduced rates
- Employee Assistance Programme – EAP is a confidential life management and personal support service which offers you free access to specialist advice in areas such as legal, financial, personal and family matters including bereavement and counselling services.
How long does the process take?
You'll receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application within 48 hours of submission. We work hard to match you to the most suitable apprenticeship taking into account your preferences in our business and the recruitment process can vary depending on the team you are matched to. The majority of applications are progressed to assessment centre within 2-3 months but it’s good to know that the whole process can last up to 8 months in total. We will aim to keep you informed throughout the time that your application is being considered.Application closed