We are looking for a Civil Engineering Technician who would like to work towards achieving a BEng (Hons) in Civil & Transportation Engineering.
The course will run over a 5 year period during which you will undertake a supervised programme of training and college day release with the University of Wolverhampton which also leads to Technician Membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) and Incorporated Engineer following completion of the degree end point assessment.
Jacobs support the requirement to undertake 20% of off the job training throughout the year. During term time you will be required to attend college one day a week and report to the office for the remaining four days a week. Outside of term time the achievement of 20% off the job training will be agreed with Line managers to suit the Apprentice and the business whilst maintaining 40 hours a week.
Working as a civil engineering design technician providing technical support to engineers who design, build and manage design and construction projects.
Civil engineering apprentice (whilst at the office) provide support technical support to civil engineers who design, build and manage construction projects related to Highways
Key responsibilities could involve:
- Production of CAD drawings, and developing design skills
- Preparation of simple calculations to support design development
- Supporting the administration & delivery of projects
- Ensuring design outputs meet the required standards
- Meeting agreed deadlines
- Working as an integral member of a design delivery team
- Contributing to providing solutions to challenging problems
- Working both in an office environment and on site
This apprenticeship is suitable for someone looking for a career in Civil Engineering – Highways / Drainage / Occupational Safety and Traffic Engineering.
There is the opportunity to go onto further study to enable you to be qualified to Master’s level Chartered Engineer status once the Level 6 apprenticeship is complete with Jacobs.
- Ideally working towards or have completed least three A levels at Grades A*-C including Mathematics and Physical Science or their equivalent
- OR Completing a Level 3 BTEC Apprenticeship in Civil Engineer or any Engineering related subject
- AND Minimum 5 passes at GCSE with at preferred Grade ‘B' or higher in Mathematics, preferred Grade ‘C' or higher in English and a preferred Grade ‘B' or higher in a Science/Technology related subject (i.e. Physics/ Chemistry/ICT) etc
- Confident communications skills both spoken and verbal Confident IT skills,
- Experience of using MS office packages; particularly Microsoft Excel Strong numeracy skills, Competent at Maths and Physics Problem solving,
- Attention to detail and a desire to come up with practical solutions
- Creative and Practical
- Adaptable and Persevering
- Interested in using computers for design work, calculations, and testing designs CAD experience with the ability to produce neat and accurate technical drawings
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organize projects
- Work well with other people in a team
- Ability to organize the work of others
- Present information in speech, drawings and report
Working week: 9:00am – 6:00pm / 40 hours per week including 1 day at University
Training provider address: University of Wolverhampton