Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centred on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. We believe we should each find meaning in our work and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
Being an apprentice at Microsoft
As a Microsoft Apprentice you could start your career early, earn while you learn and gain valuable experience.
We don’t believe in the traditional notion of “work experience” either. At Microsoft you are given real responsibility from the outset, with an employment contract for the full duration of your Apprenticeship you really are part of the team.
As an apprentice at Microsoft you will:
- Join Microsoft fully supported by an apprentice buddy who you will meet before you join and a 3-week induction event;
- Be supported in your teams by your manager and fellow team members. Our managers are fully trained and ready to support you and your apprentice programme;
- Be part of vibrant and inclusive apprentice community and can give back with our community programmes such as DigiGirls or SteamKidz;
- Be given a real job and responsibility. We love the impact our apprentices create in their job roles and the fresh thinking they bring;
- Be supported to be career curious. Microsoft is just the beginning. When you are coming to the end of your apprentice programme, we support you with our Career Connections programme to help you secure your next career opportunity.
- Paid a competitive salary. As a Level 6 Degree Apprentice you will also be eligible for up to £3000 pay increase yearly based on your impact both in the your job role and your apprentice programme.
Do you love to research trends and analyse a competitive landscape? Do you want to use data, insights and help create and craft emotional stories to reach users across a number of distinct device categories as well as influence the strategic go to market plan to build and grow a business?
If you do, then working as a Commercial Category Apprentice in our Consumer Device Solutions area of Microsoft could be the role for you.
Level 6 Charted Manager Degree Apprenticeship
Our Level 6 Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship is a 4-and-a-half-year programme.
We use this programme to grow the critical skills that you need in this role. You will spend time away from your job training and growing your knowledge to bring back into your job and apply all you have learnt. You will complete work-based assignments on this programme and the modules of the programme are aligned to what you will be doing in your day to day job role. It is not an exam-based Degree Apprenticeship.
Commercial Category Apprentice Job Role
As a Commercial Category Apprentice, you will be working in the Windows Commercial Category team. It will expose you to many on-the-job training and development opportunities. At the end of your apprenticeship, you’ll have learnt:
- How the commercial market works in the UK.
- How to showcase Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro PCs.
- How the commercial channel & partners operate in the UK.
- How MSFT works with its customers.
- How to build marketing plans and invest marketing money.
- How to forecast the market and manage a PC category.
- How to present to large audiences.
- How to be a challenger sales and marketing individual.
- How to deliver a great Windows demo.
- How to use all of Microsoft’s tools to do great work (e.g. Office 365, Teams, Yammer etc.)
As a Trainee Category Manager, your responsibilities will range across the following areas:
- To start, you will shadow the Commercial Category Lead – learning who we target, who we compete against, how we convince partners and customers to purchase a modern Windows 10 Pro device. Over time, you will take on responsibility for your own category.
- You will learn how to build marketing plans with our channel partners. Looking at the customer journey from start to finish and how to invest marketing money to build each of our categories, and over time, your own category.
- You will learn how our channel partners work, both on and off line. You’ll help them to understand the Modern Workplace opportunity and how the Microsoft ecosystem of devices provide the socket (of intelligent edge) for the Intelligent cloud.
- You’ll learn how to showcase all the amazing new features of a modern Windows 10 Pro PC.
- You will spend time shadowing our marketing, device and evangelism teams, and will have an opportunity to train partner staff.
- You will also learn important ‘business management’ skills so you can forecast the market and report on the business.
Finally, as an apprentice, you’ll be given the opportunity to work on special, short-term projects, that relate to points of importance in our business (e.g. launch events, internal marketing to Microsoft employees).
Who should apply?
At Microsoft we are all about your potential. We love apprentices who are a self-starter’s and have initiative. Being curious, having great listening skills, and a hunger to learn about our business are a must.
To be successful in the job role and on the apprenticeship programme our experience tells us that you must be highly organised with an eye for detail and the tenacity to keep working on a project as it evolves. You may also be a great story teller who is articulate at putting your side of a story across in a passionate and persuasive way.