Closing Date: 03 April 2020 at Midnight
Start date: 7th September 2020
This apprenticeship will last for 18 months
The assessment day for this role will take place on the 2nd July
The Advertising Research & Development (AR&D) and Audience Research & Insight (AR&I) teams a are part of the wider Consumer & Strategy department which also encompasses Strategy and Data Planning & Analytics.
The AR&D team help the Channel 4 Sales department sell advertising space across our channels and All 4platform, which allows us to fund the programmes we make.
We do this through:
• Proving that advertising on our channels and All 4 work
• Doing research to ensure we know our audiences inside out
• Staying on top of the latest industry trends and developments
Recent examples of the kinds of projects the AR&D team have done include:
• An investigation into precisely how viewers watch TV on commercial video-on-demand platforms, like All4 and ITV Hub
• A project to prove the effect of programme and content context in making advertising work better
• An on-going investigation into what’s important to young people aged 16-24
The AR&I team work closely with many parts of Channel 4, but particularly the Commissioning, Scheduling, All4 and Marketing teams, to understand the tastes and behaviours of our audiences. We do this through:
• Reporting on the performance of our programmes and channels, both broadcast and online
• Undertaking detailed research into the responses and reactions to specific programmes: why people watched (or didn’t).
• Exploring how viewers feel about Channel 4, and the other channel and programme brands
Recent examples of the kinds of projects that the AR&I team have done include:
• Investigating the preferences of Hollyoaks viewers, and of how soaps fit into young people’s viewing lives
• Testing new reality show formats and ideas to judge which are best
• Asking viewers about new, less well known presenters in order to find the next big thing
During your time in the Consumer& Strategy team you’ll get involved in all areas of the work we do (e.g. above). There’ll also be specific projects for you to work on and we’ll help you to quickly build up your skills and knowledge of the media industry.
• Use a range of industry research tools to prove benefits of advertising with Channel 4.
• Be a regular contact for stakeholders and deal with their day to day research needs.
• Help the team set up and run projects that prove our TV sponsorships and adverts work, or explain how and why viewers watch our shows.
• Support the team with larger research projects throughout the year.
• Create regular reports, e.g. channel performance reports, advertising spend reports, etc.
• Give general research support to the team.
• Creating content (both written and video) and managing the social media accounts for our research property 4Youth (website, LinkedIn etc)
• Organise the Researchers Night Out – an annual invent where we host agency researchers from across the industry.
Level 3 Marketing Assistant
ESSENTIAL ATTRIBUTES FOR A GREAT CANDIDATE
• A passion for both TV programmes and advertising
• Curiosity about what makes people tick
• Prior experience of using research methodologies and presenting outcomes
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• A willingness to go the extra mile
• Ability to follow instructions and work both independently and part of a team
• Experience using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
• Good numeracy skills and an eye for detail
ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION FORMATS:
If you are unable to complete a written application form, we want to make the process of applying for one of our opportunities right for you as an individual. If needed we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Talent for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
If you need to relocate in order to take up an opportunity through 4Talent (training schemes and apprenticeships) we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.
Our apprenticeships are for people 18 years old and over, and are suitable for non-degree holders.