Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) is a core member of Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group (SMFG), a Tokyo-based bank holding company that is ranked among the largest 25 banks globally by assets under management.
The bank carries out the majority of its activities in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
This role has been created to develop Computer Aided Auditing Tools (CAATs) to provide greater insight into operational controls by analysing all data to identify anomalies.
The Audit Department at SMBA (London based) is an independent, objective control function undertaking audits across Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region.
In addition to their internal audit responsibilities for SMBCE/SMBC, they are responsible for the audit of a number of subsidiary companies in the EMEA region including: JSC Sumitomo Mitsui RUS Bank, Moscow, SMBC Nikko Capital Markets Ltd, London and SMBC Aviation Capital, Dublin.
The apprentice will report to the Audit Chief Operating Officer within the EMEA region.
You will work in a team of around 20 auditors, provide regular and ad hoc reporting within the Audit Department. These reports will be created from data extracted from bank systems and analyse it to allow auditors to target their review on customers/ transactions/ entries.
Main role and responsibilities:
- Establish an understanding of the credit data stored within GBR, and other key bank systems to enable targeted extracts to be built.
- Develop regular reports focussed on each Front Office area to provide auditors insight into the portfolio held.
- Interpret specific queries from the Audit Team and develop new reports to answer them.
- Prepare an ongoing analysis to identify trends in credit quality and performance of regular tasks.
- Support the regular reporting from the Audit Department.
Desirable personal qualities:
- You will be inquisitive and keen to learn.
- You will have the ability to understand and interpret requirements from the business auditors.
- Use this information to create data for further analysis in order to identify control weaknesses.
- You will have a natural ability to think analytically.
- You will be a proactive learner who is not afraid to ask questions when you face challenges.
- The successful applicant must have strong communication skills, both written and verbal and be able to interpret data.
- The successful applicant will have a reasonable knowledge of IT
- Basic SQL is desirable
- Prior use of ACL
- An understanding of Oracle, sequel server databases and database structures would be an advantage
- A minimum of two A-levels in either Maths or an IT related subject (equivalent qualifications accepted)
- GCSE Maths at grade C or above
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.