Digital Technology Apprentice - Bristol
- Armed Forces
- Creative & Digital Media
- Bristol remove
Students with a passion for software can join our four-year apprenticeship scheme to join the Weapon System Simulation and Experimentation (WSSE) team in Bristol. You will study part-time for a fully funded Digital and Technology Solutions degree at Weston College.
What you will be doing
The degree apprenticeship will consist of a combination of on-the-job technical training and time spent studying a Digital and Technology Solutions Degree, specialising in Software Engineering at Weston College.
As part of our team, you’ll be actively involved in designing and developing leading-edge software applications used to support battlefield simulations; working in close collaboration with subject matter experts from across Land, Sea and Air defence programmes. You’ll have the opportunity to work closely with other teams and departments and work directly with customer representatives and military personnel, in order to both extend and demonstrate our current and future capabilities.
You will take part in the development and implementation of simulation software and user experiments to support some of the world’s most advanced future defence systems.
Whilst the majority of your work will be based in Bristol, you may also have the opportunity to travel to other locations within the UK, Europe and Worldwide.
Other, non-technical responsibilities include:
- Working with other departments within MBDA to enhance your product knowledge.
- Understanding MBDA, your role and how best to develop your career
- Updating managers and your team with your progress and personal development
- Participating in the Early Careers events along with other apprentices and graduates
As well as challenging placements you will have the opportunity to undertake developmental training, including two week-long residential courses in Wales to develop skills, such as team working, business communication, presentation and project management skills. Towards the end of the scheme you will also attend a two day career development workshop.
On commencing employment you will attend an induction event that allows you the opportunity to interact with fellow new-starters and integrate into the business. Formal advice and guidance is also offered by Human Resources and managers across the business and a trained mentor.
What are the benefits for you?
- A Fully funded Digital and Technology Solutions Degree, specialising in Software Engineering
- 5 days per year paid study time
- On-the-job training and technical support provided for learning new programming languages and software tools
- Fantastic opportunities to bring your technical knowledge to schools as a STEM ambassador and inspire the next generation of engineers through the STEM programme, for example the opportunity to get involved with The MBDA Flying Start Challenge.
- A range of personal development opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- 25 days paid holiday plus statutory and public holidays
What’s great about joining this team?
- A breadth of experience and support is available in the department, including: a buddy to welcome you into MBDA; access to the mentoring scheme; and regular informal meetings with other Early Careers members in Software Engineering.
- You will be working alongside industry experts delivering key projects across the whole of the MBDA development lifecycle. This team has a wide variety of work, which gives you an opportunity to develop in different areas.
- Work with other teams and departments and shape your career based on your interests.
- Exposure to all aspects of a software development lifecycle.
- A great working environment with a supportive team.
What we are looking for from you?
Candidates must have achieved:
- 120 UCAS points through either a BTEC extended Diploma (DDM) in a Computing/IT based subject OR
- 3 A-Levels, one within an IT based subject, with two others in any subject.
- GCSE Maths and English at Grade C / Level 4 or above.
- prior coding experience is advantageous but not essential
- A dedicated attitude who are comfortable with taking the initiative.
- A willingness to learn and apply newly gained knowledge quickly.
- To be capable of working as part of a team and individually.
- The ability to balance workload between university and work commitments.
What you would get:
- £14,250 starting salary with an annual increase of up to £4000 dependant on your performance in placements and university. Flexible working hours, paid overtime as required, 25 paid days holiday, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, company bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)Sign-up or log in to apply