At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it's helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe.
Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
This role will be based in Newcastle.
The main purpose of this role is to learn how to operate and maintain the TETRA Base Stations, Microwave Transmission, Enhancer equipment’s & Customer Control Room elements of the Airwave Network within agreed SLAs to maintain service to our customers. To acquire the skills and competency to conduct 1st and 2nd line maintenance on EBTS, Enhancer & microwave transmission network elements and 1st line maintenance activities on control room infrastructure.
Main role / Responsibilities:
- These activities will also include electrical supply sub systems and the various antenna systems deployed on the network.
- To gain knowledge and competent to an acceptable standard deemed by the operations manager in specialist activities including but not limited to radio interference detection, microwave link optimisation, 2nd line Customer Control Room maintenance or Switch infrastructure maintenance.
- To gain qualifications and competency to conduct routine inspections of Airwave sites to include 17th Edition electrical certification, lightening protection and structural inspections in accordance with best practice, site design documentation.
- Work toward gaining the required level of expertise and knowledge to provide 1st line support to Radio Planners to assist with the resolution of customer reported coverage cases and with interference related site issues.
- Obtain the agreed level of academic qualifications via the selected education centre. Attend all internal training sessions to enhance the level of skills required to become a fully proficient field engineer.
In order to be considered for the role, candidates applying must be motivated individuals who are driven by career progression and both academic and theoretical learning.
Other required competencies include;
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, and a clear focus on high quality and business efficiencies. A natural forward planner who critically assesses own performance and accepts feedback positive or negative.
- The role requires a logical individual who pay attention to detail, Reliable, tolerant, and determined. Empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view.
- Well-presented and business like as part of the role could be customer facing.
- Sufficiently mobile and flexible to travel up to a few days a month within the UK.
- Willingness to listen, take advice and learn is essential.
- Obtain a full security clearance.
- Hold a full drivers licence or in the process of obtaining one
In order to be eligible for the Level 4 Network Engineer apprenticeship, the chosen individual must possess academic and technical Qualifications as shown below;
- Educated to A level or above, IT, maths, English, science are preferred.
- Must be able to work at Heights. Climbing tower structures to replace the following on completion of the training;
- Antenna replacement
- ODU replacement
- Feeder termination
- Gain the required level of degree qualification in the period set.
- Obtain / attend all training sessions allocated, internal and external.
- Respond to Network Incidents once deemed competent on completion of training.
- Upon qualification / competency, partake in a 1 in 4 call out rota.
Work toward gaining the required knowledge and skills to meet the required standard to complete planned maintenance procedures as follows;
- Site planned maintenance visual inspection and functional check
- 17th Ed electrical inspections (where competent)
- Structural Inspections (where competent)
- Lightning Protection Inspections
- Customer Control Room inspections
- TETRA BTS operation and maintenance
- Capacity upgrades/downgrades
- Microwave transmission operation and maintenance
- MUX/DEMUX operation and maintenance
- Rigging/climbing activities (where competent)
- TETRA Antenna replacement (where competent)
- Feeder/connector test and replacement (where competent)
- Microwave equipment’s replacement/re-pan (where competent)
- VSAT 1st and 2nd line maintenance
- Mobile asset deployment and recovery
- Mobile base station
- Mobile VSAT equipment’s
- Towable and hand portable generators
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.