As a global energy business, we lead the world in powering a cleaner, more sustainable future. And as our business is so diverse, so are the types of people we employ: from engineers and geologists out in the field, to IT professionals, research scientists, financial traders and retail workers.
Because of this, our teams come from all kinds of different cultures and backgrounds – so a career at BP is always going to be exciting, challenging and full of incredible opportunities.
Study for a level 6, Data scientist (integrated degree), BSc (Hons) in Data Science from the University of Kent
This is an exciting commercial and learning opportunity for anyone looking to start a career in data science. Here, you’ll have the opportunity grow through hands-on work experience within BP’s Global Business Services (GBS). Plus, you’ll be studying towards a BSc (Hons) in Data Science from the University of Kent too.
GBS has a vital role to deliver business solutions that result in great outcomes for BP. Our mission is to create innovative solutions driven by inspired people in a dynamic environment - this will encourage our transformation and it’ll help us keep up with a constantly changing world. To make this transformation happen, we’ll focus on five strategic priorities: transform services, digital innovator, deliver increased value, invest in people’s futures and end customer focused – enabled by our colleagues, culture, mindset and our values and behaviours. Our colleagues in GBS are the driving force behind this transformation journey. Our culture and mindset are built on our employee value proposition (EVP). It’s how we think and how we behave. It’s at the heart of the GBS strategy and it enables us to deliver great outcomes for BP.
By joining our team you’ll have the opportunity to apply the learning from your studies directly to a world-leading multi-national organization.
Join our data scientist apprenticeship to:
- Gain commercial experience in a dynamic environment within BP GBS.
- Study and gain a BSc (Hons) in Data Science from the University of Kent.
- Have access to on-going mentoring and support.
- Earn while you learn.
What to expect
Here, you’ll get on-the-job experience, working within BP’s Global Business Services (GBS). This will be on two 18-month rotations within the Global Solutions function. During your apprenticeship you’ll combine formal learning with studying towards a Data Science degree from the University of Kent.
You’ll have full support from your apprenticeship training provider and the BP early career programme team – as well as regular structured feedback on your development, progress to date, and next steps. In addition, you’ll be guided every step of the way by an experienced mentor and buddy.
The BSc (Hons) in Data Science from the University of Kent, includes:
- A 36-month blended learning programme (distance-learning focus), plus a 6-month period for the end-point assessment (EPA).
- 10 hours of learning per week (for 46 weeks in each calendar year). Each e-learning module takes 7 weeks.
- Additionally, throughout the programme you’ll attend face-to-face teaching sessions (typically, 10 to 15 days per year, via a combination of residential and in-the-workplace teaching, plus homework).
- Each module will be assessed by written assignment(s) and portfolio entries. Later modules are assessed by further examination.
- A face-to-face induction event as an introduction to Data Science.
- Webinars throughout the programme (typically two per module).
- Workplace visits/progress reviews (by apprenticeship advisor) every 6 to 8 weeks.
So who are we looking for?
You’ve got 3 A Levels, including 1 STEM subject, a Level 3 Apprenticeship or other relevant qualifications. You easily match with BP values and behaviours, as well as with the GBS culture and mindset. What’s more, your great communication and interpersonal skills give you the ability to engage with colleagues at all levels.
You pride with your inquisitive approach and have the curiosity to explore new questions, opportunities, data, and techniques. You also have the tenacity to improve methods and maximise insights. Your adaptability and dynamism when responding to varied tasks and organisational timescales is very impressive. Plus, you act with pragmatism in the face of real-world scenarios.
Good commercial awareness and consideration of problems in the context of organisation goals are some of your strongest skills. You have an impartial, scientific and hypothesis-driven approach to work, rigorous data analysis methods, and integrity in presenting data and conclusions in a truthful and appropriate manner. You can show commitment to keeping up to date with current thinking and maintaining personal development. You’re an excellent team worker. And, last but not least, you have a great desire to improve your skills as a data scientist, to continue your studies and learn on the job.
- Online application - this is your chance to show us what motivates you
- SJQ - a set of untimed questions will look to see how you match up with BP values
- Online tests - these will check your numerical, verbal reasoning and error checking abilities
- Assessment centre - a motivation and values-based interview, a group exercise and lunch
- Offer and feedback - a firm offer or guidance on how to succeed next time
You must be aged 18 or over at start of the programme in September 2020
If you’re studying A-levels or completing further education, you must be due to complete your qualification/s in 2020 (we’re unable to progress applications for students who will be part way through their studies when the programme starts).
You'll also need to have:
- 96 UCAS points to include a C in Maths A-Level
- 3 GCSEs Graded C/4 or above (or equivalent) including English Language and Maths
- Eligibility to study in the UK
Ideally, you’ll also have studied subjects such as Physics, Information Management, Data Science, Computer Science, Information Technology or Statistics.
This programme is designed for school leavers and other individuals who do not have a degree. If you’re studying or have a degree, please apply to our student and graduate opportunities.
We’ll discuss any travel that might be required during the selection process and we’re happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments you may need.
The apprenticeship programme is based at our International Centre for Business and Technology (ICBT) in Sunbury-on-Thames. From time to time you may also be required to travel to our central London offices.