Higher Apprentice - Project Control Analyst - National Grid, Warwick
Not taking applications
- Higher Apprenticeship
- Business & Admin
- Facility Services
You will need to have a GCSE in English Language and a GCSE in Maths at Grade C or above (or equivalent) with one of the following:
- 2 A-Levels / A2: Grades A* - C (1 must be in either Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Computing) OR
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Computing or Business Skills at Grade Merit or Distinction OR
- BTEC Diploma Level 3 in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Computing or Business Skills at Grade Merit or Distinction OR
- HNC / HND in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying or Computing at Grade Pass, Merit or Distinction OR
- Degree in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computing, Maths or Business Management
Capital Delivery brings together all of the major digging, tunneling, excavating, overhead line and cabling work that tends to be associated with large projects for both gas and electricity transmission. Our work is often less obvious to the public because our projects include such things as laying gas pipelines and electricity transmission lines across the whole sweep of the British countryside.
There could hardly be a more exciting time to join our Capital Delivery Project Management Higher Apprentice Programme. We’ll be investing some £1.5 billion in our electricity and gas transmission systems over each of the coming years, and it will be Capital Delivery’s job to make sure we do so safely to time and budget, and to strict quality standards.
Our Project Controls team oversees all new infrastructure construction by planning and managing the schedule and cost of projects; helping to identify and mitigate risks and issues as they arise. Project Controls supports projects through their lifecycle, monitoring performance against the baseline including: change control, performance reporting, estimating, schedule optimisation, cost engineering and risk management.
About the role
This is a great opportunity to gain a broad overview of Capital Delivery and the wider business and expand your network of contacts. As part of the Project Controls team you will be involved in supporting schemes spanning substation developments, overhead lines, tunnelling and cables, gas transmission and security upgrades to protect our critical national infrastructure. This role will give you a platform to develop your technical, commercial and project management skills, and engaging with diverse stakeholders to maintain customer focus; all vital for successfully leading project delivery team.
Key tasks and areas of work
As a higher apprentice in our Project Controls team you’ll gain experience in all aspects of estimating, risk and cost management, planning, change, and performance management and reporting including:
- Participating in scheme teams, preparing budget estimates for future construction projects through their development from business case to contract award.
- Collaborating with Project Development and Investment Delivery to develop the best value solution to meet a given business need.
- Supporting Project Managers and their teams during project delivery.
- Maintaining the Cost Book we use to estimate the price of our work to reflect market trends by analysing tender submissions and outturn prices on completed projects.
- Helping to run risk workshops and scanning project risk registers to identify and flag broader risk trends that might impact our portfolio.
- Understanding how projects interact with each other and the operational constraints of a live system within National Grid’s outage plan.
Making sure we hit the Network Output Measures plan; the projects that protect the asset health ratings which drive a large part of the National Grid’s revenues.
In Capital Delivery, we are committed to the personal development of our staff. Joining us, you’ll be supported as you develop a wide range of leadership, business and technical skills through structured training and on the-job experience. And you’ll work closely with your line manager to establish and navigate through a Personal Development Plan that is tailored to your needs.
If you’re keen to earn while you learn, our Project Management Higher Apprenticeship Programme is a great opportunity to gain a Diploma in Project Management which has been accredited by the APM (Association of Project Management) with the potential to lead to a degree. Or, if you already have a degree, it’s an ideal way to specialise in a vital, demanding and growing area.
Thanks to the mix of formal study at college and practical experience at our offices in Warwick/Castle Donnington, you’ll develop well-rounded skills. Upon successful completion of the programme, you can look forward to a permanent job within the Project Controls team.Sign-up or log in to apply