Higher Apprentice - Trainee Power System Engineer - National Grid - Wokingham
Not taking applications
- Higher Apprenticeship
- Mechanic and Automotive
- Gas, Heating & Hot Water
- Facility Services
- Electronic Engineering
- Ref no.: 15550
About the role
If you’re a technical ‘problem-solver’ looking to build a career in engineering, then this programme – which includes a Foundation Degree – will help develop your skills through a mix of practical work and academic study.
This team is focused around the Electricity National Control Centre in Berkshire. It is responsible for operating Great Britain’s electricity transmission network – planning and managing its live operation – they keep things running smoothly 24/7 days a year.
On finishing the two-year Higher Apprentice Programme, you will take up a post that will lead to a role in the System Operations team based in Berkshire.
Key tasks and areas of work
You will be using your newly acquired power systems knowledge in a variety of roles which support the 24/7, 365 days a year, operation of the Electricity Power Network. You will be required to work as part of a team, liaising with internal departments and external stakeholders, such as Distribution Network Operators and Generators.
An ‘earn while you learn’ alternative to securing that degree at University; or if you already have that degree, a chance to specialise.
Blend of formal study at University and further training at our Nottinghamshire centre combined with practical application and experience at your local site or office facility
A permanent position when you satisfactorily complete the whole development programme.
This is the beginning of an exciting career in an ever change energy climate. Our role as the System Operator will give you a real insight into how we keep the country running!
This is primarily an office based role working on the electricity side of the Business.
You will need to have a GCSE in English Language at Grade C or above (or equivalent) with one of the following:
- 2 A Levels A* - C (1 must be in either Maths OR Physics)
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or Engineering Grade Merit or Distinction (Essential the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)
- BTEC National Diploma Level 3 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or Engineering Grade Merit or Distinction (Essential the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)
- ONC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Grade Merit or Distinction (Essential the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)
- HNC/HND in Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering Grade Pass, Merit or Distinction
- Degree in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering discipline