We are looking for apprentices to join our Highways Civil Engineering team. AECOM is an internationally recognised leader in highway consultancy, giving our clients a range of services including planning, design project management and asset support services. Our highway’s division boasts over 700 employees across 23 offices in 7 countries in Europe alone and is constantly expanding; with a number of exciting opportunities now available for apprentices to work within our Highways team across the UK and supporting operations in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
Our Highways team deals with a range of different projects across the globe working with funding agencies, national and local governments, highways authorities and private organisations. Successful candidates will work on projects from initial concept through to construction and operation on small to large high profile projects with a variety of clients. Our current portfolio of works comprises a diverse mix of local, national and international highway and infrastructure improvements. You will use industry leading computer software and BIM modelling applications while working on a variety of highway specific disciplines including:
- Transportation planning
- Feasibility and Highway route studies
- Highway design
- Junction design
- Traffic management planning
- Pavement analysis and design
- Drainage analysis and design
- Utility layout and diversion recording
- Streetscape design
- Intelligent transportation systems (ITS)
You will combine work-based on-the-job training and learning with further studies and must be willing to progress your career. After an initial probationary period you must be willing to undertake a day release course at a Further Education College to study a level 3 Civil Engineering BTEC or a level 6 Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship, and ultimately work towards achieving Engineering Technician status and subsequently Incorporated Engineer status.
In order to be considered for this position please provide the following.
- CV including details of any work experience, and your education including dates, grades, subjects and the level of your education.
- Covering letter demonstrating your passion, why you are interested in this position, and how your skills and education/qualifications support your application
No work experience is necessary. This position is ideally suited to school leavers at GCSE or A-Level (or equivalent) who can demonstrate the following:
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grade ‘C/4’ or above, including Mathematics & English
- Three A-Levels (or equivalent) including Maths and a physical science at grade 'C' or above - essential for level 6 Degree Apprenticeship
- Show an aptitude towards software-based engineering and drawing e.g. Computer Aided Design (CAD) and other similar 3D software
- Demonstrate an interest and a desire to pursue a career in Highways/Civil Engineering
- Commitment to continued education and improvement through on-the-job learning and training opportunities.
- Creative, practical, adaptable and enthusiastic
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organize parts of projects
- English language proficient, holding excellent communication skills to present information in speech, drawings and reports