ICAEW Chartered Accountant


Taking applications

  • Jobs
  • A Level Training Scheme
  • Professional Qualifications
  • Accounting & Tax
  • Nationwide

How do I become an ICAEW Chartered Accountant?

You become chartered through completing the ACA qualification, which is a combination of study, exams and practical work experience.

As a school leaver, there are a number of ways to complete the qualification:


ICAEW Apprenticeships

We currently offer a Level 4 and a Level 7 Apprenticeship, and which one you choose depends on your end goal and your employer.


Level 4 – Accounting Technician Apprenticeship

• Study for the ICAEW Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (ICAEW CFAB)

• Equivalent to the first level of the ACA Chartered Accountant qualification and the first year of a Bachelor’s degree

• Minimum 12 months to complete


Level 7 – Accountancy Professional Apprenticeship

• Study for the ACA Chartered Accountant qualification

• Equivalent to a Master’s degree

• Typically 36 to 48 months to complete, depending on prior experience


School Leaver Programme

This options also allows you to begin your ACA qualification straight from school, so you should start looking for an employer offering a school leaver programme during your last year of A-levels. We work with many different employers across a range of industries, so there’s plenty of choice available.


AAT-ACA Fast Track

This option is a collaboration between the Association of Accounting Technicians and ICAEW. It provides those studying the AAT with credits towards the ACA, enabling them to qualify as ICAEW Chartered Accountants quicker than they may have been able to otherwise.

To find out more about any of these options, visit ICAEW Careers, and to find vacancies, visit ICAEW Training Vacancies


What are the requirements?

You don’t need to be a mathematical wizard to do the ACA. You don’t even need maths as one of your A-levels. What’s more, if you choose to go to university, we welcome all degrees.

What you will need from most employers is at least a B in GCSE Maths and English (or equivalent) and also above 112 UCAS points. If you choose to complete a degree, you’ll be expected to achieve at least a 2:1 by most employers.

To see our current opportunities, visit ICAEW Training Vacancies.

Sign-up or log in to apply

Cookies: By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more details see our cookie policy.