Not taking applications
Taylor & Francis have an exciting new opportunity for 2 Improvement Technician Apprentices to join the team, 1 in the Continuous Improvement Team and 1 in the Operational Excellence Team on a fixed-term 18-month contract.
The Improvement Technician Apprentice will work with Process Specialists and the Team Manager to build an understanding of operational processes, the principles of Kaizen, and the tools and methodologies related to Lean Six Sigma and Agile. You will receive White Belt and Yellow Belt Lean Six Sigma training.
The apprentice will work towards gaining:
- A Level 3 Apprenticeship as an Improvement Technician (Standard)
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English & Maths (if applicable)
- You will need to pass an End Point Assessment to successfully achieve your apprenticeship
The Apprentice will work alongside Process Specialists, learning how to:
- Ensure the effective delivery of routine operational editorial processes for Editors and Societies
- Work on a continual improvement basis, utilising kaizen methodology
- Use the Kanban system to provide day to day process outputs, delivering to high standards of service excellence
- Input into creative and effective solutions to improve processes as they are being worked upon
- Work as a team to generate ideas to improve systems and processes, focusing on removing waste and inefficiencies
- Successfully liaise and communicate with colleagues within and across departments as required
- Focus on customer requirements
Knowledge and Qualifications:
There needs to be the potential for the significant development of capabilities and competence during the programme for you to be eligible. You will not be able to complete an Apprenticeship in a role if you already hold the same level or higher existing qualification in improvement processes.
- As a minimum requirement, you will need to have achieved or be expecting to achieve 5 GCSE passes at Grade C/4 or above including in English and Maths or equivalent qualifications
- Experience of using Microsoft Office applications including Word and Excel
- A basic understanding of the principles of process improvement
What we are looking for:
- Enthusiasm and motivation, the drive to achieve
- An openness for learning
- An interest in continuously improving work and processes
- Good interpersonal skills, able to work effectively with colleagues and external stakeholders
- A self-starter, able to use own initiative, able to self-organise
- Adaptable, able to respond quickly to change
- The ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- A team player, building good working relationships and retaining a positive attitude towards your work, colleagues and fellow stakeholders
- A clear customer focus
Things to consider:
- An Apprenticeship is a learning opportunity. Apprentices will be required to complete the mandatory 20% period of off-the-job training and all tasks associated with obtaining the Apprenticeship qualification
- Anyone applying for an Apprentice role may be required to attend an assessment with the Apprenticeship Training Provider Skills Training UK to ensure suitability of the Apprenticeship level against individual’s educational attainment and motivation for pursuing an Apprenticeship a long with an information session. This may consist of a series of initial assessments (required prior to an apprenticeship offer), completion of essential paperwork, the opportunity to find out more about the apprenticeship process, the training included, and a forum for any questions
- Assessment Days will be taking place in September 2019
On completion of the Apprenticeship:
After successful completion of the Apprenticeship a certificate will be issued formally recognising this achievement and will mark the end of the fixed-term Apprenticeship.
Taylor & Francis will make every effort to identify a suitable internal role on successful completion of the Apprenticeship, however there is no automatic guaranteed progression to a permanent or fixed-term role after successful completion of the Apprenticeship.
In return we offer: A competitive salary of circa £17,000 per annum, 25 days holiday per annum (with an additional 3 days for Christmas), a comprehensive benefits package and company pension scheme.
Please provide a supporting covering letter along with your CV for this application.
This position is based in our office in Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Taylor & Francis Group an Informa Business
Informa is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, colour, creed, disability status, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.