Newcastle under Lyme Borough Council has ambitious plans to embrace digital opportunities and revolutionise how we deliver services. Whether it’s making it easier for our residents to communicate with us or planning our future digital infrastructure, there’s never been a more exciting time to be involved in technology.
We’re looking for innovative people, who embrace technology, are curious, excited by the pace of change and can apply their creativity, energy and determination to help us enable people to succeed in the digital world.
Our Customer and ICT Services currently have an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, hardworking individual to join our ICT team.
Technology has the capacity to transform how organisations work and over the next few years.
Main purpose of job:
The primary role of the Infrastructure Technician is to provide support to internal and external customers, helping them to be productive when using technology to do their own jobs, by using tools to problem solve and trouble shoot non routine problems.
The Infrastructure Technician sets people up on systems and provides support when they need it, rectifying issues to maintain the organisations productivity.
The post holder will actively engage with our users to help them develop their technical capabilities, champion the use of technologies and help to continually improve our services.
- Support users with day-to-day desktop activities, such as access and password management, software installation and general problem resolution.
- Proactively engaging with users to help them make the most of their technology, demonstrating how to complete tasks or how better outcomes could be achieved with different tools.
- Ensuring that clear guidance and advice for users is prepared and maintained on the ICT team’s Intranet pages.
- Communicating with users via face-to-face, telephone and online channels, adapting communication styles to match the ability of the user.
- Testing, identifying, repairing and resolving user issues with hardware, such as desktop computers, laptops, printers, mobile phones, Wi-Fi, etc.
- Using our service desk software to keep track of new, ongoing and completed requests, ensuring these are prioritised and monitored effectively.
- Good understanding of desktop IT, such as PCs, Laptops, Printers, Tablets, Smartphones, etc.
- Experience of using Microsoft Windows and common applications, such as Office
- Microsoft Office skills – such as using Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to engage with a wide range of people
- Logical and creative thinking skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and to take responsibility
- Can use own initiative
- A thorough and organised approach
- Ability to work with a range of internal and external people
- Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of situations
A minimum of 5 GCSE’s at grade C/4 or above (including Maths and English Language).
Up to £15,000 per annum.
On successful completion of the programme you will receive:
Infrastructure Technician Level 3 standard:
- MTA Networking Fundamentals
- MTA Mobility and Devices Fundamentals
- MTA Cloud Fundamentals
- BCS Certificate in Business Processes and Coding and Logic
Our apprenticeships are a great opportunity to earn while you learn.
As an employee of the Council, you will benefit from a competitive salary, fully funded training, flexible working, generous annual leave, free parking, travel card loan scheme, discounted staff gym membership, a modern workplace and be given the opportunity to really apply what you are learning in a supportive environment.
The highly sought after skills you gain through your apprenticeship will also put you in a great position for the future.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.