Infrastructure Technician (IT) Apprenticeship with Google UK
Not taking applications
- Intermediate Apprenticeship
The Google IT Apprenticeship is a 15 month program offered as part of the the UK Government’s Apprenticeship program in partnership with Just IT.
As an IT apprentice at Google, you will be part of the first cohort of a new program launched this year that provides the skills you need to become an Infrastructure Technician.
You will join a team at Google and will be assigned to a manager for the duration of your 15-month apprenticeship. You will start in October 2018 with our academic partner [Just IT], for initial training. After completing your initial training you will be onsite at Google for further training and onsite experience, rotating between being onsite at Google and training at Just IT during your apprenticeship.
While onsite, you will have the opportunity to work alongside a team of Googlers (yes, that’s people working at Google!) to solve real life problems. You will get exposure to different roles across the company, including IT Support and Audio-Visual Engineering. Additionally, you will learn how to apply problem solving skills to tackle real life challenges, pick up new technical skills such as troubleshooting multiple computing platforms and data gathering and analysis, automating repetitive tasks, learn about remote infrastructure and fleet management, IT security and policies, and other industry practices.
Technical support for a technology company is a big task. As an apprentice within the IT Support team, your mission is to enable the people that keep Google running. Your team provides the front line user support for all of our internal tools and technologies.
We will equip you with everything you need to know to support our users. You will receive specialized training in networking, infrastructure and multi-platform system administration, and you will develop further skills through hands-on experience in communication technology (video and voice), hardware, mobile device support and project management.
Beyond the day-to-day, the team will contribute to longer term technical projects, process improvement and the documentation efforts that help make the Google magic happen.
Google aspires to be an organisation that reflects the globally diverse audience that our search engine and tools serve. We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives, ideas and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services.
Interacting with people in all parts of the company will give you insight into our unique enterprise and corporate culture.
Examples of responsibilities
● Provide direct support for desktops, laptops, and mobile devices across multiple operating systems - ChromeOS, Mac, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android.
● Provide basic corporate network infrastructure and server support.
● Provide direct support for Google's corporate resources and applications.
● Undertake training and follow mentoring as specified.
● Attend team meetings to keep colleagues informed and to create a forum for knowledge sharing.
● Five GCSEs, (including English, Mathematics, and a Science or Technology subject), or a relevant Level 2 Apprenticeship, or equivalent qualifications or experience.
● Predicted B at A Level or equivalent qualification in at least one subject.
● Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.
● Passion for technology, demonstrated through personal projects.
● Commitment to learning new skills.
● Have authorisation to work in the United Kingdom.
● Ability to work well in a team environment with a focus on knowledge sharing and collaboration
● Openness to navigate ambiguous tasks, find suitable solutions and seek help/advice where appropriate.
● Effective customer service, organisational, and communication skills
● Enthusiasm for new technologies
● Strong problem solving capabilities
● Good communication skills, pro-active, self-motivated and positive attitude
● Ability to work independently and within a team framework.