Infrastructure Technician (IT) Apprenticeship with Google UK
Not taking applications
- Cyber Security
Applications are open from 15th October 2018 to 18th January 2019 for an October 2019 start.
As an IT apprentice at Google, you will be part of a program that aims to provides the skills you need to become an Infrastructure Technician. You will join a team at Google and will be assigned to a manager for the duration of your 15-month apprenticeship.
You will start in October with our academic partner Just IT, for initial training. After completing your initial training you will be onsite at Google for further training and onsite experience, rotating between being onsite at Google and training at Just IT during your apprenticeship.
While onsite, you will have the opportunity to work alongside a team of Googlers (yes, that’s people working at Google!) to solve real life problems. You will get exposure to different roles across the company, including IT Support and Audio-Visual Engineering. You will learn how to apply problem solving skills to tackle real life challenges; pick up new technical skills such as troubleshooting multiple computing platforms, data gathering and analysis, automating repetitive tasks; learn about remote infrastructure and fleet management, IT security and policies and other industry practices.
We will equip you with everything you need to know to support our users. You will receive specialized training in networking, infrastructure and multi-platform system administration, and you will develop further skills through hands-on experience in communication technology (video and voice), hardware, mobile device support and project management.
Technical support for a technology company is a big task. As an apprentice within the IT Support team, your mission is to enable the people that keep Google running. Your team provides the front line user support for all of our internal tools and technologies.
Google aspires to be an organisation that reflects the globally diverse audience that our search engine and tools serve. We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives, ideas and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services. Interacting with people in all parts of the company will give you insight into our unique enterprise and corporate culture.
To apply, please follow the instructions below. To have a complete application, you will need a CV and a cover letter:
- Prepare the following documents to complete your application:
- Current CV combined with the cover letter to create one PDF attachment.
- Cover letter explaining your interest in applying to be an apprentice at Google. List any projects that you have been involved in or started that prove your suitability or passion for the role. - Let us know how you heard about this apprenticeship role (Note: this information will be used in aggregate and will not be considered as part of your application)
- Click on the “Apply” button on this page to provide the above required materials in the appropriate sections:
- In the “Resume Section:” attach your current CV combined with the cover letter to create one PDF attachment.
- **This section is mandatory for the program even though it is optional, as noted on the website, for other jobs at Google.**
For any questions, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Examples of responsibilities
- Provide direct support for desktops, laptops, and mobile devices across multiple operating systems - ChromeOS, Mac, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android.
- Provide basic corporate network infrastructure and server support.
- Provide direct support for Google's corporate resources and applications.
- Undertake training and follow mentoring as specified.
- Attend team meetings to keep colleagues informed and to create a forum for knowledge sharing.
- Five GCSEs at Grades A*-C or 9 - 4, (including English & Mathematics), Functional Skills Level 2 in English and Maths, or a relevant Level 2 Apprenticeship, or equivalent qualifications or experience;
- B grade at A-Level or equivalent qualification in one or more subjects.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.
- Have authorization to work in the United Kingdom.
- Ability to work independently and within a team framework.
- Willingness to navigate ambiguous tasks, find suitable solutions and seek help/advice where appropriate.
- Enthusiasm and passion for new technologies, demonstrated through personal projects and commitment to learning new skills.
- Effective communication and organizational skills, pro-active, self-motivated, positive attitude, and excellent customer service capabilities