Northumbria University, Newcastle is a successful university with a global reputation for academic excellence. Located in Newcastle upon Tyne, with campuses in London and Amsterdam we also work in partnership with other higher education institutions across the world attracting students from 136 countries. As a large organisation you will benefit from exposure to different aspects of the business and will work with multiple stakeholders. This provides a great learning opportunity for the right person.
Are you ready for a new rewarding challenge? Our apprentice schemes are the perfect route to launch your career. An apprenticeship opportunity currently exists in our IT Services Department. If you are enthusiastic and customer focused with a positive and flexible attitude, then we want to hear from you.
As an Infrastructure Technician (Apprentice), you will be helping to provide a high quality and professional service to customers in a busy and successful university. Your role will involve assisting in the development, enhancement, support and maintenance of Apple, HPC, Windows and related technologies across the University. Working with and supporting more senior staff within the IT service delivery and management function.
Assisting in the development, enhancement, support and maintenance of Apple, HPC, Windows and related technologies across the University. Working with and supporting more senior staff within the IT service delivery and management function.
- Assist in providing IT support to academic staff and students within the Faculty and Service Management Team
- Contribute, as directed in organising, planning and prioritising work tasks to contribute to the achievement of Faculty or IT Service objectives and work towards professional standards.
- Develop and maintain an awareness of relevant processes, procedures and practices that apply within the service function and department.
- Help promote and contribute to the development of a collaborative and inclusive culture, by sharing information and good practice with your colleagues and peers.
- Work co-operatively and maintain effective relationships with others, internally and externally to the University, as appropriate
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist in identifying, researching, evaluating and selecting technologies for end-user computing, and backend data centre infrastructure.
- Supporting senior staff members with the integration, delivery and management of IT infrastructure and services.
- Helping and supporting the management of Apple, HPC and Windows infrastructure within the data centre environment.
- Working towards and supporting in the identification of opportunities to increase governance, levels of service and efficiencies through systems integration, automation and management technologies.
- Support senior staff in the development of plans and initiatives for the implementation, integration and configuration of SIAM technologies and continuous improvement
- Develop effective skills in troubleshooting SIAM technologies with the help of training from the apprenticeship and workplace mentors
- Learn to establish and manage supplier relationships to maximize value and levels of service across the IT function
- Research and develop an awareness of relevant industry trends, issues and opportunities and learn how to incorporate these into effective plans that can add value to the department
- Assist in providing support and consultancy to operational teams
- IT skills including use of MS Office packages (e.g. Word and Excel)
- Demonstrates good communication skills, whether face-to-face, on the telephone or in writing.
- Attention to detail, completes tasks to a high standard.
- Takes responsibility for initiating and completing tasks.
- Manages and prioritises time in order to successfully meet deadlines
- Professional, customer-focused approach
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships within own team and across the organisation
- Positive, flexible approach to team working
- Reliable, enthusiastic, and willing to learn
Essential - GCSE (or equivalent) in both Maths and English with minimum Grade B/5 or equivalent
Desirable - working towards or completed A-Level studies (idealling in an IT discipline)
The training opportunity has been aligned to develop your skills and abilities to carry out a future IT Support role.
Following the successful completion of your apprenticeship, it is anticipated that you will be ready to apply for a role of this nature.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.