IT Infrastructure Technician Apprentice
BRE has been raising the standards of the built environment since 1921, and in the last few years has grown significantly, both through the achievements of our people and the acquisition of businesses with beliefs and goals aligned with our own.
Our multi-disciplinary teams include leading experts – working in world-class facilities – in virtually every element of the built environment. They operate internationally, with offices, representatives and partners around the globe, and at our Head Office and major facilities in the UK. Our long heritage of putting progressive thinking into practice means that our customers and partners, wherever they are in the world, trust us to deliver.
BRE is part of the BRE Trust, which uses the profits we make from our services to fund new research and education programmes.
This is a fantastic opportunity for two individuals who have a genuine passion for IT and an interest in embarking on a career in this field. The successful candidates will work in the IT Infrastructure team and gain experience across IT Network & Back Office support, Business Application support plus Front office and Service Desk support teams, with possible work in technology improvement projects.
Your training programme is designed to provide real-world skills using the most recent IT Technologies to transform individuals into highly skilled IT Apprentices.
The Apprenticeship will blend on-the-job experience, face-to-face workshops and online learning which will teach a range of new skills including: Networking and Architecture, Mobile and Operating System, Cloud Services, Coding and Logic as well as Business Process.
This is a Level 3 programme initially, leading onto a Level 4 programme in either Network Engineering, Cyber-Security, Business Analysis or Data Analysis, so the duration of the scheme is expected to last at least 3 years and therefore we are looking for individuals who can commit fully.
- Own the diagnostics and fault resolution of IT infrastructure devices & related systems, drive fault isolation and troubleshooting on the supported systems.
- Develop and support hardware, software & security configuration standards as well as monitor and report on capacity and forecast requirements.
- Help resolve service issues and incidents that have been reported by BRE staff.
- Issue new IT devices to BRE staff, including applying BRE standard ‘image’ and ‘configurations’ to devices, installing approved software and applying licenses as instructed by senior IT staff.
- Develop an understanding of BRE’s internal systems and reporting needs, help create, test and support day to day operational and management information reporting.
- Develop an understanding of BRE business processes and system configuration, learning how to document existing processes and how to review and optimise processes to increase effectiveness and create efficiencies.
Desirable skills & Personal qualities:
- Experienced in a customer orientated environment, professional, enthusiastic, driven and ambitious with an innovative mind set.
- Able to support the IT Management team by handling the day to day user requests from the IT Service Desk system, providing the best possible service to BRE IT Customers.
- Able to work effectively on own initiative or as part of the team to meet challenging operational deadlines and to communicate any difficulties, managing their own schedule with little supervision.
- A positive contributor to team discussions; taking ownership of tasks and issues to resolution. Able to convey their thoughts clearly and concisely.
- Prepared to perform reasonable ad hoc duties within the Job Holder’s capabilities and this can at times be a physically demanding role.
- Interested candidates must have at least 3 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grades A-C
- Plus GCSE’s in Maths and English (or equivalent) at grades D or above.
- Salary: The starting salary is £18,000.
- Hours: Our core working hours at BRE are Monday to Friday, 8:45am to 5:15pm / 35hrs a week
- Location: The role is based at our headquarters in Garston, Hertfordshire. There will be some flexibility to work from home throughout the apprenticeship.
- Start date: The Apprenticeship will commence in September 2021.
- The 20% off the job training is delivered in blocks as opposed to day release and dates will be agreed prior to you starting so you can prepare for this.
- The training element will be delivered virtually so you don’t need to travel and will instead have a dedicated QA Digital Learning Consultant to support you and keep you on track.
- You will also benefit from a Mentor at BRE throughout the duration of your Apprenticeship scheme.
- BRE have training room facilities available so if you would prefer to study on site and away from distractions at home then this is not a problem.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.