Not taking applications
This opportunity is no longer open to applications - Please scroll down to see related opportunities.
This is an excellent opportunity to receive first class one to one training and working experience in a small successful firm, leading to a valuable qualification following successful completion of the apprenticeship. The duration of this apprenticeship is 24 months,
What work will I be doing? What duties and responsibilities will I have?
Our legal apprentice will be working with our probate partner Jeremy Clough under the supervision of our managing partner Angela Davies, in this husband and wife firm. Our aim is to give the successful candidate the same start to a career in law that Jeremy had when he left school, leading to genuine expertise in probate, estate administration, wills and all elderly client work.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
1. To work with Jeremy Clough within the Probate Department, including attending interviews with clients and liaising with our introducers and will writer.
2. To make and receive telephone calls so as to provide updates of information to relevant parties as required.
3. To prepare and process correspondence (email and post) and documents (wills, powers of attorney, HMRC forms and estate accounts).
4. To assist with the preparation and collation of will and power of attorney instructions.
5. To manage paperwork and ensure that an effective filing system is maintained.
6. To assist with the dispatch of outgoing correspondence and enclosures.
7. To ensure the confidentiality and security of the firm’s and client documentation and information.
8. To undertake any specific training when required to do so.
9. To learn and practice excellence in client relations.
10. To learn and practice compliance with professional regulations and standards.
The ideal candidate will have the confidence to deal with various individuals and groups. You will be supported to undertake recognised qualifications whilst gaining invaluable on-the-job experience. You will need to be reliable, adaptable, conscientious, able to work to instructions, self-motivated, willing to learn, and above all meticulous in your accuracy with words and figures.
Working Week (total hours plus shift pattern for an average week):
35 hours per week, Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm, including 1 hour unpaid lunch and 20% time for training.
CILEx Law School has strong employer links within this industry sector and following on from successful completion of this apprenticeship there may be the opportunity for progression onto Chartered Legal Executive training.
Who is the employer? Where will I be working?
The employer is A M Davies, a husband and wife legal firm with (currently) no other staff.
Please visit the website at: www.amdavies.co.uk
The Legal Apprentice role is based at our office on the first floor at 3 Sceptre House, Hornbeam Park, Harrogate, which is within walking distance of Hornbeam Park train station.
The office is a single room with attached meeting room and adjacent shared kitchen facilities.
The apprentice will take instruction directly from Jeremy Clough, but will be supervised more generally by Angela Davies, managing partner, who works from home in High Birstwith. The intention is that Angela will visit the apprentice regularly, and will also be available by email and telephone as required.
Unfortunately, there is no lift in the building at present.
Training to be provided?
CILEx Law School is the training provider for this paralegal apprenticeship.The two-year apprenticeship includes the CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice. We are experts in delivering this qualification to apprentices. Apprentices will study:
- An introduction to law and practice
- One area of law most relevant to the role
- Its associated area of legal practice
- Client Care Skills
- Legal Research Skills
We offer face to face teaching or live interactive webinars in small class sizes. We do not teach by recorded webinars. In addition, we support paralegal apprentices to achieve the Paralegal Standard through:
- regular one to one work-place visits by a legal trainer;
- guidance on compiling a portfolio to meet the requirements of the Paralegal Standard and
- skills training.
There would also be job-specific training through working alongside experienced staff at the employer. You may need to study English and Maths depending on prior attainment.
CILEx Law School provides effective and accessible training for a wide range of professional and vocational legal qualifications. Our emphasis is on quality, innovation, and flexibility in course delivery, coupled with excellence in customer service. We are wholly owned by the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives, and have been delivering legal training for 35 years and legal apprenticeships since 2012. For more information, see www.cilexlawschool.ac.uk
We will review your application against the criteria below when considering your suitability for the role, only applications which clearly demonstrate with evidence that they meet the essential criteria will be short-listed for interview. Desirable criteria are those that enhance your capacity to do the job but can be acquired once in employment.
You must provide evidence to demonstrate you meet the criteria within your application form to be short-listed.
Minimum Entry Qualifications:
- This is a monthly paid post and you are required to work a month in hand and you will be entitled to receive statutory minimum annual leave. The salary will be £13000 per annum
- You are responsible for funding your own travel to and from your place of work.
- If you will be required to commute, then please carefully consider the cost and time involved before applying for the role.
- You must conduct yourself in a safe and diligent manner and comply with health and safety policies and procedures.
- You must uphold and promote the firm’s policies and procedures, promoting those specifically to your area of work, including the regulations and standards of the legal profession, and Equality, Diversity and Safeguarding policies of the firm.