Responsibilities of the Apprentice - In this role, you will be:
- Learning how to monitor and react to alerts from security devices
- Working with others, participate in the testing / introduction of new security systems as required
- Learning how to participate in reviews and audits and help in making recommendations regarding arrangements for system security administration on designated technology platforms, including network security devices and operating systems
- Learning how to perform installation and configuration management of security systems and applications, including policy assessment and compliance tools, network security appliances and host-based security systems
- Understanding how to perform vulnerability assessments, in some cases followed by appropriate remedial action, to ensure that systems are protected
- Assisting in ensuring that patches are applied, where appropriate, and, security guidelines are followed
- Developing an understanding of how to research threats and, where appropriate, how to act to mitigate them
- Assisting others in responding to and, where appropriate, resolving or escalating reported security incidents
- When required, helping to collate security incident and event data to produce monthly exception and management reports
- Endeavouring to promote awareness of applicable security policies and standards and assist in IT security training of users as required
- Developing an awareness of how to report suspected network security violations as appropriate
- Developing an awareness of how to report unresolved network security exposures, misuse of resources or non-compliance situations to management
- Undertaking other duties commensurate with the level and scope of the role
Requirements of the Apprentice
- Someone with a drive to succeed within a high profile institution
- Someone with 5 standards ( Level 1 - 3)OR 5 National Level 5 grades, both qualifications including Maths and English
Training available for the Apprentice
Are you a bit of a problem-solver?Eager to take your technology knowledge to the next level?
Our training programme is designed to provide you with real-world skills using the most recent IT Technologies to transform you into a highly-skilled IT Apprentice ( all debt free! ) Our apprenticeships blends on-the-job experience, face-to-face workshops and online learning which will teach you a range of new skills including:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Cloud Technologies
- Support BYOD
- Microsoft Windows 7/8.1 and Other Client Operating Systems
- Mobility Solutions such as Microsoft Intune
- Securing Devices and Networks
What qualifications will you gain?
- SCQF 6 Qualifications ( Equivalent To Working At Advanced Higher/HNC Level) , SCQF 6 Qualifications ( Equivalent To Working At Advanced Higher/HNC Level)
- Vendor qualifications - Installing And Configuring Windows 7 Client ( Exam Optional - Only One Exam Included* ) , Upgrading Your Skills To MCSA Windows 8 ( Exam Optional - Only One Exam Included* ) , Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices ICND1 ( Exam Optional Cost) , Microsoft IT Security Fundamentals ( no exam) , Installing and configuring Windows server 2012 ( exam optional cost) , Server Virtualization With Windows Server HYPER-V and System Center ( Exam Optional Cost) , Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices ICND2 ( Exam Optional Cost) , * Apprentices can choose to take an exam in one of these courses. If they wish to do the exam for both, speak to your QA apprenticeships account manager for more information and costs
- SCQF 8 Qualifications ( Equivalent To Second Year Of Degree Study) , SQA SCQF 8 Diploma in ICT and Telecommunication Professional
16 - 24 month Higher IT apprenticeship ( with opportunity to step off after Part 1*if you find that the training/role isn' t for you)- *If you choose to step off, you would still gain SCQF 6 qualifications equivalent to working at advanced higher/HNC level.
Benefits and additional information
Working days/hours - Monday-Friday, 9: 00am-5.30pm
Under the supervision and direction of the IT Security Assistant and other members of the IT Security team, you will gain and develop a full understanding of the company. Also, you will gain the ability to perform the key tasks and responsibilities.
Progression opportunities will be available - the University will offer a 2 year contract initially and then possible job opportunities may arise after.