LCHost [later renamed Netcalibre] was founded in 2001, targeting the then popular Linux shell product space, offering high quality services at industry leading pricing. Those customers who have been with us since the beginning have come to know LCHost as a company strongly geared towards providing that rare combination of stability and value for money – illustrated through their loyalty and our exceptionally high customer retention rate.
By the beginning of 2004, the company had grown considerably – now offering high quality UK based webhosting packages in their own right rather than as an add-on to a shell account, shoutcast streaming media services, and gameservers – through its subsidiary brand LCGaming. Operating profits yielded during the past 4 years had been ploughed back into buying new equipment and helping to grow the business.
Initially focusing on first line support, this is an ideal placement with a managed IT provider and ISP. They are looking for someone who wants to develop their skills in Windows and Mac desktop support, Windows and Linux server systems administration, VoIP, and network management and administration.
Main role and responsibilities:
The bulk of the apprentices’ time will be spent:
- Working over the phone and email with end users
- Diagnosing and resolving issues
- Then communicating or logging what was done and how long it took
Because of the ISP side of the business, you will gain experience of working in some of the largest datacentres in London, and encouraged to learn about more advanced topics typical of service provider networks such as Cisco, Extreme Networks, Juniper and Ubiquiti hardware, dynamic IP routing using BGP/OSPF, fibre optic networking including C/DWDM and fusion splicing, etc.
- While some experience with Windows desktop O/S, the Microsoft Office suite, and basic networking knowledge is expected and Mac/Linux experience is extremely useful but by no means required
- What the ideal candidate really needs is an eye for detail
- Passion for computing, problem solving and self-advancement
- Someone who can show initiative and is very self-motivated
- Ability to communicate well with clients
5 GCSE’s, grade A to C.
The potential to be offered a full time role at the end of the apprenticeship.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.