IT Technical Services Apprentice
The Ruskin Mill Trust Group operates five colleges and associated residential provision in Nailsworth, Stourbridge, Sheffield, Birmingham, Pembrokeshire as well as an associated site in Darlington and an independent specialist school in Sheffield. We provide innovative and experiential education for children and young people with special learning needs, developed out of the inspiration of Rudolf Steiner, William Morris and John Ruskin.
This position is located primarily at Ruskin Mill College in Nailsworth near Stroud in Gloucestershire.
We are seeking an IT Technical Services Assistant Apprentice for an 18 month fixed term contract.
Whilst receiving on the job and formal training and support, the post holder will provide first line user support for the information technology systems/hardware and assist the Technical Services Manager with the administration of the network and servers. The role will also require the successful candidate to successfully complete a Level 3 Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship.
The candidate will be expected to embrace, articulate and work with the visions and values, and is to contribute to the whole life of the schools, colleges and Trust, always remembering that our core purpose is to improve the education and lives of the children and young people at the school and colleges.
As a Technical Services Assistant Apprentice, you will receive on the job training and support whilst providing first line support for the information technology systems / hardware. You will be required to assist the Technical Services Manager with the administration of the network and servers.
Main duties will include:
- Providing first line user support to staff and students as required using the desktop systems, including dealing with operational problems such as hardware faults and software incompatibilities;
- Assist in the maintenance of relevant management and system administration records such as user requests and action taken, asset records, software records and maintenance requests and outcomes. Undertake a schedule of PC "health checks" and ensure effective deployment/utilisation of anti-virus software;
- Assist with the administration and development of the desktop and office network systems as required, including user administration, maintenance of the Office E-mail system, Internet Filter Software and ensuring that the security procedures for the desktop system within the office network are appropriate and are being followed.
Desired skills and experience:
- Good knowledge of Windows 7/10
- Computer Literate in Microsoft Office, including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Good organisational skills
- Confident and enthusiastic user of ICT
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to foster and maintain collaborative working relationships and sharing of good practice
- Good organisation skills
- Ability to demonstrate high levels of discretion and confidentiality
- Enthusiastic, energetic, well organised, good communicator
- Willingness to learn about various technologies and their use within Ruskin Mill Trust
Other desired experience:
- Awareness or knowledge of Windows System Administration
- Awareness or knowledge of local area networks (wired and wireless)
- Awareness or knowledge of Wide area networks, and administration of such systems
- Use of Audio-visual equipment and its maintenance
- Awareness or Experience using Active directory and Group Policy
- Awareness or Experience in supporting local area networks and wide area network administration
- 5 GCSE’s, grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and Maths)
Holidays & Benefits:
The post holder will benefit from 33 days annual leave (including the 8 bank holidays) and also has the opportunity to receive lunch free of charge and there is free car parking.
Ruskin Mill Trust is committed to staff training and development and an interactive induction is provided, giving the opportunity to experience the craft and the student experience.
Ruskin Mill Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful applicants will be required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service Enhanced Level Disclosure. Ruskin Mill Trust is committed to becoming an equal opportunities employer.
As part of the application process candidates will be required to complete an application pack, of which QA will provide on behalf of the organisation.
8:30am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.