IT Technical Support Apprentice, Kirklees Council - PG0054
Do you want to use your passion for technology in a helpdesk or business environment to support service users with remote technical IT related issues? This could involve email, telephone or face to face support on infrastructure, networking, mobile and operating systems and security.
If so, this opportunity could be perfect for you!
Being an apprentice is the first step to becoming the best version of you, so start building your career with us.
Apprenticeships with Kirklees Council
IT apprenticeships have a successful history within the council, with many of our previous apprentices either finding employment within the council or in external IT environments. We have a well-developed support structure to ensure the best possible chance of your successful attainment of qualifications and the development of behaviours and expectations in a local government environment.
We have flexible working hours and have a large variety of opportunities to work across the organisation in technical, digital, business and creative disciplines.
For more information, please visit our website http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/default.aspx
As an apprentice you will be working in an IT role and carrying out the following duties:
- Resolve problems associated with operating systems, networks, software, hardware, printers etc.
- Service desk support– diagnosis of IT issues and supporting users remotely using remote connection tools.
- Installation of new software and hardware
- Maintain and fix other computing equipment
- Assist in system upgrades and system maintenance
- Liaise with third party suppliers such as Internet Service Providers and vendors
- Support with technology asset management
- Assisted site visits to council buildings to deal with issue resolutions
Training to be provided by Primary Goal:
- Level 3 Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship Standard (Networking and Architecture, Mobile and Operating Systems & Security, Cloud Services, Coding and Logic, Business Processes)
- Comprehensive digital pre-apprenticeship induction programme (including health and safety, safeguarding, PREVENT, technical and curriculum specifics)
- e-learning training materials
- Specialist vendor and technical certificates
- Access to practice labs to develop technical competency
- Curriculum knowledge base (lesson plans, resources etc)
- Monthly assessor visits and competency checks
- Support desk (technical and pastoral)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills and Key Skills development
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities module
- Functional Skills in Maths and English (if required)
Being part of the Primary Goal community provides apprentices access to a range of other apprentices (with varying levels of experience) who can share good practice and offer suggestions and support. Our apprentices love being able to help each other!
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
We are looking for someone who:
- Is educated to GCSE standard (English and Maths grade 4 or above) or equivalent, however applicants who are willing to work towards their Level 2 Functional Skills will also be considered.
- Has a true passion for new and emerging technology - is enthusiastic about digital developments and has an active interest in IT and keeps up to date with current technology and trends
- Is able to work in a team and deliver good customer care and communicate clearly with others
- Is able to demonstrate an aptitude for the skills taught in the Apprenticeship (for example through work experience, qualifications or references)
- Is confident when using a range of hardware, software and technical devices
- Has experience of Microsoft Office applications, including Word and Excel
- Love of learning
- Desire to help others to learn, develop and understand
- High energy and motivation to achieve success
- Commitment towards the completion of a full Apprenticeship programme
- Ability to work well in a team, as well as independently under own initiative
Paid hours per week: 35 hours per week, specific hours to be determined prior to appointment
Expected Duration: 15 – 18 monthsSign-up or log in to apply