Engineering Apprenticeship programme - Cork, Ireland
Not taking applications
Location: Cork, Dungarvan
Engineers at GSK are responsible for designing, maintaining and improving our leading-edge manufacturing facilities that deliver life-saving treatments.
Our engineering apprenticeship programme is designed to create the engineers of the future. As an engineering apprentice, you will have the opportunity to develop mechanical, electrical & instrumentation or control & automation skills, depending on which craft you do.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards nationally recognised qualifications- depending on your entry qualifications, you will study towards an advanced or higher apprenticeship standard. If you show the qualities, we are looking for you may be offered the opportunity to go on to study for an HND or degree in engineering
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
Our apprenticeships typically last four year - subject to completing all SOLAS apprenticeship curriculum modules – and will combine on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development. Your time will be divided between working within engineering teams at our facilities developing your skills and time spent studying at training centres and third level institutes.
Your apprenticeship will combine on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development. Your role may:
- Develop mechanical, electrical and instrumentation skills
- Learn how to maintain production equipment
- Carry out routine maintenance
- Diagnose and resolve breakdowns
- Help design, install and test new equipment
What qualifications do I need? To be eligible for our Engineering apprenticeship you will need to have or be predicted to achieve:
- a minimum of 140 points in 5 Leaving certificate Subjects
- a minimum of 20 points in maths and English.
- a minimum of 20 points in one of the following subjects: physics, chemistry, agricultural science, applied mathematics, construction studies, design & communication graphics, engineering, design & technology, physics & chemistry (combined).
To calculate how these translate to pre-2017 qualifications please follow this link: Pre 2017
Where will I be based?
We have opportunities at the following manufacturing sites:
- Electrical Instrumentation
- Mechanical automation and maintenance fitting (M.A.M.F)
What our apprentices say about the engineering apprenticeship...
“I love the independence and the responsibility that I have. For me this is the best way I could have gone about starting my career. I would 100% recommend choosing an apprenticeship. There is an endless amount of opportunities in a workplace like GSK.”
“I have really enjoyed working in all different areas on the site learning my chosen trade from qualified engineers - this has given me the best training I could have asked for!
“The most enjoyable part so far was probably the personal development week - it was great to do activities I never normally would and to also be around other apprentices in similar situations to me and compare all our thoughts and opinions on the apprenticeship programme.
“It has been a great opportunity to prove myself.”
When does the Apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in September 2019.
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- A performance and development programme
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend events such as the Outward-Bound Course
- A nationally recognised level 6craft qualification
You’ll be asked for your personal information and why you want to work for us. We recommend you apply as soon as possible, because we accept ongoing applications and offer positions on a first come, first served basis.
Watch a video to get to grips with our recruitment process
Want to understand our whole recruitment process? Watch our video here
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also because it’s the right thing to do.
Sign-up or log in to apply