Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centred on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. We believe we should each find meaning in our work and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
Being an apprentice at Microsoft
As a Microsoft Apprentice you could start your career early, earn while you learn and gain valuable experience.
We don’t believe in the traditional notion of “work experience” either. At Microsoft you are given real responsibility from the outset, with an employment contract for the full duration of your Apprenticeship you really are part of the team.
As an apprentice at Microsoft you will:
- Join Microsoft fully supported by an apprentice buddy who you will meet before you join and a 3-week induction event;
- Be supported in your teams by your manager and fellow team members. Our managers are fully trained and ready to support you and your apprentice programme;
- Be part of vibrant and inclusive apprentice community and can give back with our community programmes such as DigiGirls or SteamKidz;
- Be given a real job and responsibility. We love the impact our apprentices create in their jobs roles and the fresh thinking they bring;
- Be supported to be career curious. Microsoft is just the beginning. When you are coming to the end of your apprentice programme we support you with our Career Connections programme to help you secure your next career opportunity.
- Paid a competitive salary. As a Level 6 Degree Apprentice you will also be eligible for up to £3000 pay increase yearly based on your impact both in the your job role and your apprentice programme.
Do you have a passion in marketing and want to be part of a team that develops new solutions?
You could have an interest in gaming or creativity or be interested to understand more about how a key business product is taken to market and the data, insights and planning that are behind this.
If you think this could be you then our Junior Category Manager/ Marketing Executive apprenticeship programme in our consumer device sales team could be for you.
Level 6 Charted Manager Degree Apprenticeship
Our Level 6 Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship is a 4-and-a-half-year programme.
We use this programme to grow the critical skills that you need in this role. You will spend time away from your job training and growing your knowledge to bring back into your job and apply all you have learnt. You will complete work-based assignments on this programme and the modules of the programme are aligned to what you will be doing in your day to day job role. It is not an exam-based Degree Apprenticeship.
As the Junior Category Manager/ Marketing Executive apprentice your responsibilities will align to the following areas:
- To start, you will shadow the Category Managers and the marketing team – learning who we target, who we compete against, and how we convince consumers to purchase a new console, accessory, game or subscribe to one of our digital products.
You will learn how to create a strategic business plan for PC Gaming that includes a clear vision for the future, actionable objectives, aligned marketing investments
- and measures of success. You will learn important business management skills so you can forecast the market and report on the business.
- To execute this plan, you would learn how to collaborate with a broad set of stakeholders across the consumer division at Microsoft both local & global, including account managers and marketers, plus industry partners who either make or sell PC Gaming devices.
- You will learn how to leverage local partnerships across different sectors and digital services and utilise these to increase awareness of our products and services. You will understand how to negotiate with partners to meet important KPIs.
- You will manage how new product information is released and distributed to our sales and channel marketing teams and which marketing channels to leverage to increase awareness.
- You will support the marketing team with day-to-day management of the social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Discord) and events management. This will involve studying the customer, understanding the consumer decision making journey and how to invest marketing funds to achieve key performance indicators.
- You will learn how we work with PR to promote new products and services to media and influencers. This will also involve ranging, purchasing and day-to-day duties of samples management.
- You will directly support on one of our growing channels – retail digital games. This will include how we forecast and monitor performance, assort and merchandise through the Retail channel and how we work with internal stakeholders on long-term strategic planning.
You will become an expert in Xbox with an understanding of the marketing and category functions involved in increasing sales and creating relatable stories to reaching new and existing audiences.
You will become an expert in Windows 10, marrying together new software features on the Engineering roadmap and hardware features from device makers, into relatable stories for your target audience to understand and get excited about.
Who should apply?
At Microsoft we are all about your potential. We love apprentices who are a self-starter’s and have initiative. Being curious, having great listening skills, and a hunger to learn about our business are a must.
To be successful in the job role and on the apprenticeship programme our experience tells us that you must be highly organised with an eye for detail and the tenacity to keep working on a project as it evolves. You may also be a great storyteller who is articulate at putting your side of a story across in a passionate and persuasive way.
5 GCSEs A*-C including Maths and English & 3 A Levels A*-C or equivalent qualifications