Level 4 Policy Apprenticeship, Central London, £24,300
HM Treasury is looking for enthusiastic, analytical individuals to help support our policy teams deliver their goals. Prior experience in Policy or the Civil Service is not required and this opportunity is ideal for those looking to start a career in the Civil Service or those who are considering a career change. The role will include a Level 4 Policy Officer Apprenticeship alongside a challenging but rewarding role.
We are looking for individuals who are motivated by:
- Thinking around a problem, identifying key issues and finding solutions.
- Working with others and understanding different perspectives
- Communicating clearly and concisely, particularly in writing
- Collaborating and supporting others
- Being involved with the work of government and its effect on the whole country
- Taking responsibility and being adaptable to changing priorities
Each role will be different, but it is likely you will:
- Support decision making at senior level meetings. Act as secretariat or project manager to support the delivery of HMT’s priorities, as set-out in HMT's plan.
- Lead on the policy making. Consult with businesses, academics and across government; analyse data; and conduct online research in your policy area.
- Draft documents for Treasury ministers, including policy briefings, Parliamentary Questions, Freedom of Information requests and correspondence with MPs.
- Work with other Civil Servants, external organisations and the public to build relationships to ensure effective delivery of policies.
- Present to others about your policy area and the effect it has on other areas of work.
Alongside your role, you will complete a Level 4 Policy Officer apprenticeship with Knowledgepool.
About HM Treasury
The Treasury is the United Kingdom’s economics and finance ministry. It is responsible for formulating and implementing the government’s financial and economic policy. Its aim is to raise the rate of sustainable growth, and achieve rising prosperity and a better quality of life with economic and employment opportunities for all.
The Civil Service is an important part of the government of the United Kingdom. Your role will be varied and you will experience, first hand, the policy making process. One day you might analyse data, the next you could support the briefing of a Minister on a parliamentary debate. You can expect to work with various government departments, external organisations and individuals to debate and shape policy.
Each apprentice will be allocated to a specific policy area and will be supported through the apprenticeship learning and by their line managers and team to develop the required skills, knowledge and behaviours to excel in the policy profession in HM Government.
With guidance and support of their manager and wider team, previous Policy Apprentices have worked on:
- the Energy Taxation, Carbon Pricing and Emissions Trading policy
- the Covid-19 Job Retention Scheme
- the Public Sector pay awards
- the EU Exit financial stability
- The Biodiversity Review
Working in HM Treasury is unlike anywhere else. We don’t think you’ll find responsibility, challenge or fulfilment quite like it.
The post will be based in 1 Horse Guard Road, Westminster, London. We are currently all working from home but will keep applicants informed of any changes.
Hours of work
This post is available on a full time, part time or job share basis, and flexible working hours can be accommodated.
Closing date: 24th August 2020