Level 6 Sofware Engineer Degree Apprenticeship (Newbury, Berkshire)
Start date: September 2019
Think you know Vodafone? Think again!
There has never been a more exciting time to get involved in technology! As a global technology leader, our products and services transform lives and businesses around the world every day. Whether it’s helping develop the smart cities of the future, transforming healthcare or enabling the development of entire economies in the emerging markets, we are helping to build the digital infrastructure of the future!
Did you know, we have been recognised in The Sunday Times Top 25 Best Big Companies to work for and The Times Top 50 Employers for Women in 2018? We’ve also been recognised by the Financial Times as having Ethnic Minority role models in 2018.
Vodafone sees Software Engineering as the art and discipline of delivering great quality software into services that delight our customers. As we move more towards becoming a software company right across our network and end-to-end services, software engineering is becoming a critical skill in driving us forwards, whether we are buying in quality solutions, building our own unique customer experiences or inventing the future of communications. You could find yourself in one of our many world class technology teams helping to deliver the digital infrastructure of the future, enabling the Gigabit Society, including our globally leading Internet of Things team, Unified Connectivity & Communications team and more.
During your 4 year Software Engineering Digital & Technology Solutions Apprenticeship, you will undertake blended classroom and virtual based learning which will include modules such as ‘Understanding Systems Development, Solution Architecture, Business Strategy, Planning and Implementing Dev Ops, Designing & Developing Products for the Internet of Thing, Unified Communications’ and many more. Alongside your Vodafone role this will help you develop into a Software Engineer expert, role modelling our Vodafone Way Behaviours and able to, among other things…
• Create effective and secure software solutions using contemporary software development languages to deliver the full range of functional and non-functional requirements
• Undertake analysis and design to create artefacts, such as use cases to produce robust software designs.
• Produce high quality code in at least one Vodafone relevant language following best practices and standards.
• Perform code reviews, debugging and refactoring to improve code quality and efficiency.
• Test code to ensure that the functional and non-functional requirements have been met.
On successful completion of the programme, you will gain a BSc (Hons) Degree in Digital & Technology Solutions, specialising in Software Engineering.
Your Software Engineer Role
• Developing / delivering user stories according to developer guideline.
• Develop, contribute in, own and maintain our environment build automation process within the wider Internet of Things Team
• Helping to create a build pipeline to allow continuous delivery of new software projects
• Working with Vodafone architects on new designs, providing input into the best way to solve problems with software development
• Bring your ideas into to the Services team management on how best to enhance our software engineering capability. Keep up-to-date on current thinking, and design patterns in software development to ensure that software produced remains fresh
• Work in a DevOps team to Develop new software projects against Communications Platform as a Service APIs to enhance the Vodafone feature set in the Converged Communications space
• Research open source projects that Vodafone could leverage to create new services and present to management teams on the future of software
• Ensure that software produced has excellent unit testing coverage to ensure that change can be made safely by partnering with the Quality Assurance team to fix defects
• Conduct peer reviews, maintain and improve coding standards.
What’s in it for you
• Investment in your personal development with forward thinking digital learning
• Working for an industry leading company that spans across different countries around the world
• Having business exposure and projects from day one
• Being part of a talented apprenticeship community
• Collaborating with leading experts who are transforming how Vodafone provides its products and services
What are we looking for?
• Have achieved a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade A-C/4-9 or above (including Maths and English Language)
• Have completed your Level 3 studies (A-levels, BTEC Level 3 or Level 3 Apprenticeship) by September 2019
• Be eligible to work in the UK and will not be in full-time education by September 2019
• Have lived in the UK and/or EU for 3 years prior to September 2019
• Ideally a Level 3 qualification in an IT-related subject
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrate creativity, resilience and adaptability
• Curiosity and passion for technology, how things work and the future of digital
• Keen interest in Software Engineering; preference for demonstrable relatable experience of playing/ experimenting with software projects and evidence of basic codingSign-up or log in to apply