Materials Laboratories Degree Apprenticeship- Washington (Sunderland)
Not taking applications
- Degree Apprenticeships
- Aviation & Aeronautics
Starting salary £12,657 pa
This is your opportunity to work with world-class scientists and engineers to make sure the materials we use are as innovative and safe as possible. Building on your previous academic studies, you can expect to gain an understanding of different materials and their uses, failure investigation studies, research and development, process control and laboratory-related improvement activities.
You’ll also get to work on a variety of different special processes used during component manufacture, such as chemical processing, laser processes, machining, welding, heat treatment, casting, forging and various coatings. This will give you a broad overview as you split your time between our offices and high-tech laboratories, providing a mix of both practical and theoretical experience.
Initially, you’ll gain foundation engineering skills and knowledge through time spent off-the-job in an engineering skills workshop. You’re going to be working with experienced engineering instructors, completing both written and practical activities.
You’ll then undertake a variety of three to six-month placements in our manufacturing laboratories and specialist materials teams, working with our experienced and knowledgeable people to learn how the special processes we use operate.
Typical placement roles can include:
- Assisting our suppliers to deliver products and materials within specification
- Statistically analysing and modelling material properties to help Design Engineers understand how they behave in extreme environments
- Conducting forensic failure investigations by carrying out metallurgical analysis into a product or material to understand how its performance can be improved and higher product safety can be achieved
- Mapping out various technical processes and improving them to reduce cost and improve delivery times
- Testing materials to understand alloy composition.
These placement opportunities will allow you to work on a variety of laboratory equipment from initial microscopic component preparation through to Scanning Electron Microscopes. This practical experience will be supported by theoretical learning as you undertake a Degree in a Materials or Manufacturing discipline. This apprenticeship typically lasts 48 months.
What you’ll get
- A competitive salary starting from £12,657
- A competitive pension, and 33 days’ holiday per year (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- Work with expert mentors and career coaches
- Honours degree in a Materials or Manufacturing discipline
- Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace & Aviation Engineering (foundation competence)
- Level 4 Diploma in Engineering & Advanced Manufacturing (development competence)
What you’ll need
Three A-Levels/Scottish Highers (or equivalent qualifications) at grade C or above, including Maths and two engineering related technical subjects, e.g. Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, Electronics, or ICT. You’ll also need five GCSEs/Standard Grades at grade A-C including Mathematics, English Language and Double Science or equivalent. We’re looking for people who are very team-orientated – you’ll spend time with your fellow apprentices on team-building initiatives, including our training course with The Outward Bound Trust.
Who we are
Our high-performance, integrated power solutions are at the cutting edge of technology. From powering huge commercial vessels to nuclear submarines, supersonic fighter jets to highly efficient passenger planes, or rail locomotives to luxury yachts, we go above and beyond to create better. And it’s all thanks to our people. Whether they work in engineering or finance, manufacturing or project management, our 50,000-strong team work together to deliver excellence in the air, on land and at sea – to customers in 150 nations around the world.
Trusted to deliver excellence.
We recruit, select and develop our people on merit, irrespective of their race, colour, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other characteristic.Sign-up or log in to apply