Mechanical Engineering Apprentice - Stevenage
We are no longer receiving applications for this opportunity, but there are plenty more open so please continue searching.
- Mechanic and Automotive
- Armed Forces
MBDA offers a four-year programme for its engineering apprentices. It is a fantastic opportunity for you to join an accredited mechanical engineering scheme that has developed some of the leading engineering apprentices in the UK.
We have an opportunity to streamline your apprenticeship to finish within the Mechanical Engineering (ME) Function. ME is involved in all aspects of a products life-cycle; from early development and research, through to in service support. This opportunity will give you the skills required to design, make, and test the next generation of missile system hardware.
What you will be doing
Mechanical Engineering Apprentices will study towards a HNC and HND in Mechanical Engineering at Oaklands College in Welwyn Garden City, and work within our business on rotational placements whilst earning a competitive salary and with access to all of the company benefits. This unique way of studying allows you to earn academic and nationally recognised qualifications as well as gain hands on learning experience within a professional and friendly workplace. This programme also allows you to study towards an Engineering NVQ Level 3.
The rotational placements and experiences you will gain on this scheme have been tailored to give you the skills required to become an engineer within the Mechanical Engineering Function. Placements may include:
- Mechanical Design
- Mechanical Analysis
- Materials and Processes
- Design Definition Office
- Product Definition
- Environmental Engineering & Facilities
- Industry Policy Supply Chain and Procurement
As well as challenging placements, apprentices will have the opportunity to undertake developmental training, including training on our 3D Computer Aided Design and Product Lifecycle Management software.
As well as challenging placements you will have the opportunity to undertake developmental training:
- An induction event that allows you the opportunity to interact with fellow new-starters, and integrate into the business
- 2 x 1 week-long residential courses in Wales to develop skills, such as team working, business communication, presentation and project management skills.
- 2 two day career development workshop at the end of the scheme to assist you moving from an apprentice into the business.
You’ll be provided with formal advice and guidance throughout the scheme by HR, learning & development, managers across the business and a trained mentor.
On commencing employment you will attend an induction event that allows you the opportunity to interact with fellow new-starters, and integrate into the business. You’ll be provided with formal advice and guidance throughout the scheme by Human Resources, various managers across the business and a trained mentor.
What are the benefits for you?
- Fully funded HNC and HND in Mechanical Engineering
- On the job training and technical support
- Fantastic opportunities to bring your technical knowledge to schools as a STEM ambassador
- A range of personal development opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- 25 paid days holiday plus all statutory and public holidays
What’s great about joining this team?
- A breadth of experience and support available which includes a buddy system to welcome you into MBDA, access to the mentoring scheme and regular informal meetings with other Early Careers Programme (ECP) members and managers
- You will be working in an assistive and collaborative open plan working environment and laboratories, aimed at aiding your learning and development.
- Comprehensive training plans are available within the placements, equipping you with a wide knowledge base and range of experiences.
- Hands on work experience can be gained from all placements, and interaction with hardware is actively encouraged to help further understanding of the product.
- We utilise cutting edge technology and creativity to design, make, and test the next generation of missile system hardware.
- Opportunities to see a wide range of MBDA products at various stages of the Product Life Cycle.
What we are looking for from you
- Candidates must have a minimum of:
- 96 UCAS points via a BTEC Diploma in Engineering t at DD level OR
- BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering at MMM level OR
- 3 A-Levels that must include Maths and another STEM subject such as Physics, Chemistry or Design & Technology
- An ability to solve problems in a creative way.
- An awareness of and interest in different and new technologies.
- An interest in how things work.
- A dedicated attitude and be comfortable taking the initiative.
- A willingness to learn and apply newly gained knowledge quickly.
- To be capable of working as part of a team and individually.
- Ability to balance workload between college and work commitments.
What you would get:
- £14,250 starting salary with an annual increase of up to £4000 dependant on your performance in placements and university. Flexible working hours, paid overtime as required, 25 paid days holiday, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, company bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (DefeApplication closed