Mechanical Plant Fitter Apprentice – Level 2 – Avonmouth
- Advanced Apprenticeship
- Health & Safety
- Hinckley remove
Learning the trade - assisting with the maintenance and repair of heavy construction plant equipment on site and in the workshop.
The apprentice will learn about and be involved with the maintenance and repair of cranes, excavators, bulldozers, wheeled loaders, AT dump trucks, tunnel boring machines (TBM’s), conveyor systems, specialist underground tunnelling machines, concrete pumping machinery, heavy and light vehicles and other light construction plant such as compressors, generators, telescopic forklifts, forward tipping dumpers, rollers welding machines, water treatment plants, compaction equipment, JCB’s, etc. etc.
Apprentice’s will have the opportunity to experience all of the roles involved within a busy project plant dept. and towards the end of their apprenticeship time be encouraged to specialise in areas that they are particularly interested in.
Our aim is to train the apprentices into highly skilled, knowledgeable and adaptable fitters who will be confident in the work that they do and take pride in their work.
You will study for and be expected to pass a L2 apprenticeship in Plant Maintenance (2 years) and leading on to L3.
The typical duration for this apprenticeship is 2 years.
What you’ll be doing:
- To learn under the close practical supervision of experienced plant fitters and plant foremen / supervisors how to maintain, fault find, report and repair construction plant.
- Attend technical college on block release to learn the theory of construction plant equipment.
- The learning period will involve becoming familiar with the theory and practicalities of how the following work within a construction plant application; engines, transmissions, final drives, hydraulic systems, auto electrical systems, electronics systems, PLC control systems, pneumatic systems, and how to inspect, maintain, repair and write reports on these systems safely, effectively, efficiently.
- In addition the apprentice will be expected to learn the implications of the costs involved with the operation of construction plant.
- Also basic engineering skills will be taught to the apprentice such as; lathe turning, milling machine operation, welding / cutting with gas and electric arc, fabrication of steel items, the ability to read simple engineering drawings, fabrication of high pressure hydraulic hoses.
Who we’re looking for:
- You will be able to solve problems and to pick up new ways of working quickly with minimum direction, working collaboratively as part of a team and independently.
- An interest in Plant and Mechanics
- No prior qualifications needed
- Full UK driving licence
- Ability to absorb and retain technical information
- A questioning attitude
The following qualities/experience are also desirable:
- Work experience or part time employment
Salary & benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. Your professional institution fees and training will be covered.Sign-up or log in to apply